Help needed conversion

sm500

Retro Guru
Hi am looking to convert my Thorn audax into a more friendly tourer, i have never been a fan of drop handle bars and would ideally like to put flat bars on. In using flat bars what brake levers do i need to use to operate my existing standard rd brakes? I have a set of cantilever brakes and shifters in a sti unit thats on my old mtb that i amn breaking could i use these?
cheers

yeah, reckon so. The real difficulty is in trying to match levers and cantis where one is for Vbrakes and the other for cantis. if theyre all from a complete set and your frame has canti bosses, I cant see why it wont work

i would say swapping mtb parts might be an issue, do you have a road triple chainset? if so, i don't think mtb shifters will work, the rear should be ok but the front shifter i think has a different 'throw' on it, meaning that the spacing is slightly different. shimano do specific flat bar road shifters.

brake wise a good set of canti levers should be fine

It was built with mtb drive train, thats how it was specd from new from Thorn, All lx mtb stuff but with a rd cassette on rear and 46 chainring on front on a triple. I wish i could get on with drops but i really dont like, so to use bike more i would like flat bars, can i use any brake leavers to work with the rd brakes?

in that case then you should be fine with mtb shifters, as far as brake levers go, v brake lever will actually work but canti brake levers will work better. v levers pull too much cable for a canti or road brake, they will work but just won't feel as nice to use.

Job done finsihed it tonight,used quill stem from my old cannondale with canti sti levers and sti canti brakes, fitted new cables, works lovely and have to say its a really nice riding position, much more comfy.. Cheers for your replys

Back