classic claud butler, nervex, stamped CB, think its 1938?

chrismith33

Retro Newbie
Hi, i have a claud butler handed down to me, its really caught my interest and am looking for a bit more knowledge on the subject,

I will be uploading some pics asap but to get me started:

On bottom of frame under pedals stamped with:
13038 NERVEX CB,
dark red colour,

thanks for now,

chris.

Hi, the Claud you have looks like it was build in the transitional years ( 1956 - 1959, with those decals - early in the process ) when Claud Butler went bust and Holdsworth toke over ( the 'CB' on the bottom bracket would point to this ), there is an excellent Holdsworth website 'www.nkilgariff.com' with plenty of Claud information you can check out, and the lugs look like Nervex Super Legere http://www.classicrendezvous.com./France/parts/Nervex/Nervx_L_Lugs.htm Terry

thanks for your help. have followed the link and wondered how exactly to date it. can i take the front forks off, if so where will it be stamped.

cheers

Unless a database has been built up from known bikes there is usually very little chance of frame numbers helping.
It looks like a Holdsworthy, I would guess early 1960's, I sold some of these then. One oddity, the pressed fork crown is unusual. Could it be nervex? they used cast crowns on the ones I remember. I would need close up pics of the underneath, also seat cluster often helps.
Occasionally I saw them with the "reynolds A" stamp on the tube ends visible through the paint.
Certainly it had no connection with Claud.

Latest posts

Back