pedals and shoes

wilfh

Dirt Disciple
I've just been for the first real ride on my new bike (Ernie Clemenst) which has clips and straps on the pedals.
I used my usual running trainers and they are really way to big for the clips to the point that I can't really get my foot in. (Trainers have persumably got bigger over the years)

Ultimately I will change them to clipless but it did get me wondering what they used inthe 1980's and earlier when straps were all the rage.
Where there didicated shoes?

(is this a daft overly basic question?)

What do other people use?
cheers
Wilf

I found a pair of old cycling shoes in a flea market in Brussels.

Pre-clipless shoes were leather lace ups with stiff soles. You can find quite a
few pictures if you google vintage cleated cycling shoes.

One thing I didn't realise at first was that these shoes also had a type of cleat attched, but different from what you get now. They were a flat plate with an indented ridge cut in. The indentation hooked over the back of the pedal, then you strapped your feet in quite tight. It's hard to find the old fashioned cleats now.

You had to learn to tighten and loosen your toe straps at appropriate times - you couldn't just unclick!

Being strapped in to the pedals sounds pretty scary, but some people claim the injuries if you fell were just different rather than worse. In the old days, you got more bruises and scrapes from sliding while still strapped into the bike - now you're more likely to break something as you tumble free of the bike (can't find an emoticon for "ouch"...).

I wear Converse with mine. They are the only ones narrow enough to stuff in the clips. They've also got a handy smooth toecap which slides in and out easily. The plimsolls I used to wear had ridges round the toecap and used to jam up either on the way in or out, or catch the strap. Annoying.

Wear a pair of Italian 'winkle-pickers'. The point goes through the hole in the toeclip and the sole is thin enough for the pedal to be felt by your feet.

Only joking - but this is how I used to ride to work in the 60's complete with Italian style suit and drainpipes.

Shoes of the correct era can be found at jumbles. Factory fitted shoeplates (NOT cleats please!) were a relatively late innovation. Before them, shoes had a plain leather sole (with or without 'ventilation' - or drain - holes) and shoeplates were nailed to them at home. A shortish ride on your 'rat-trap' pedals would mark the sole and then, using a shoe-last ('What's one of them Dad??') you would nail on the plates to line up with the marks. Whilst this could be hard enough in itself, shoes with spring steel sole 'stiffeners' made the job even harder as the nails bent before they were fully inserted. Very frustrating especially when you discovered on your first ride that you hadn't got them QUITE right and your knees started to hurt.

You don't know you're born these days, all you young whippersnappers! ;)

We always used small wood screws to secure shoe plates (not cleats), although previously I have ridden wet races with the nails conveniently into the soles of my feet, but never felt them in the cold conditions.

No surprise I have had to get an automatic car because feet do not have the correct nerve response.

You could make sensible shoe plates from a bit of old shoe leather.

you can usually find old type cycle shoes on fleabay i bought a decent
pair of carnac touring shoes as new leather uppers and stiff flat sole
others crop up now and again duegi. jolly, etc
type in touring will usually throw some up.
have seen some very nice italian leather shoes on line by dromarti.
but cant justify the £140 price tag. maybe a hint at crimbo to the wife!

keithglos":1gu8tcml said:
We always used small wood screws to secure shoe plates (not cleats), although previously I have ridden wet races with the nails conveniently into the soles of my feet, but never felt them in the cold conditions.

No surprise I have had to get an automatic car because feet do not have the correct nerve response.

You could make sensible shoe plates from a bit of old shoe leather.

I eventually went on to screws as well but when the sole became very wet after a rainy ride the leather could swell and seemed to loosen the screws somehow. There were some commercial leather shoeplates at one time I seem to recall. I need to look in my 'Holdsworthy Aids' files!

EDIT - yep, Cliff Peters made some but they still had an alloy 'slot' embedded in the leather. There were some solid rubber ones as well.

I've got a pair of NOS 'Anquetil' long ones in my 'stuff' still in the packet.

We have an unused pair of red Pete Salisbury made to measure shoes, size about 37, as used by BB and BB. From about 1974 I think.

Back