Steve Bauer's 'Stealth Bike'

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Some time ago there was mention here about the 'special' bike Canadian rider Steve Bauer rode in the 1993 Paris-Roubaix (and Ghent-Wevelgem). I knew there was an article about it in the first edition of 'Cycle Sport' magazine June '93 but I had annoyingly 'disposed' of my copy a few years back. However, yesterday, an old clubmate's Dad (he's emigrated to New Zealand, lucky lad) came round with a carrier bag full of magazines from the early '90's (mainly Cycling Weekly) but there amongst them was the very magazine I remembered! I've scanned the article which I will try and post in the Mag Articles Section but here are the photos of the bike for starters.

Designed by Richard Dejonkheere (brother of Motorola mechanic Noel D. hence the team connection) basically just for the hell of it (!) it had a 60 degree seat angle and around 42/43" wheelbase. Bauer was out of a racing contract by this time but agreed to try it and got a special short contract with Motorola just to ride the bike. He trained on it for 5 months before the first race (G-W) and in P-R it was fitted with Rockshocks and 185mm cranks. He found it very stable on the rough roads but still only finished 21st, a reasonable ride but nothing to change peoples' conception of what a 'real' bike should be like.

I have a feeling that it may still be hanging up in his garage. Anyone know if this is true?

Attachments

• BauerStealthBike.3.A.jpg
    BauerStealthBike.3.A.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 5,934
I remember seeing pictures of that back in the day and have to say that it doesn't look as if pedalling in a 'sitting in an armchair' position is very comfortable. And I guess, as we haven't seen similar, it didn't have particular performance advantages?

wow, knew nothing of this, thx for posting up. Its an ugly steed tho, just needs some vintage (north road??) bars

ededwards":11pshb2f said:
I remember seeing pictures of that back in the day and have to say that it doesn't look as if pedalling in a 'sitting in an armchair' position is very comfortable. And I guess, as we haven't seen similar, it didn't have particular performance advantages?

Probably none whatsoever! Only done 'because it could be' I reckon.

And Steve Bauer was probably in need of a bit of publicity.

He also needed the 'Chopper' style saddle to push against.

John":3p2ensdf said:
Have seen pics of this before, wonder why it never caught on.

Would you ride it - in a hard race? (or indeed any race!) I can't see any advantage apart from the extra publicity!

Just one of those little anomolies that get thrown up from time to time and which we all love to speculate over ;)

Old Ned":32ttobjx said:
He also needed the 'Chopper' style saddle to push against.

I always wanted one of those saddles for my TT bike (made by Concor IIRC), especially after the Selle Italia turbomatic and Corima lipped saddle fairings were banned.

Latest posts

Back