Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

garethrl wrote:
As I just saw cromoman said, the Triomphe and Victory cranksets from the mid 80's both used a 116mm PCD

I'll add that there was also a 5-arm 116mm Gran Sport chainset with a more classic appearance (fluted arms, etc) in the style of the 144mm GS chainset:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... 6&Enum=115

That also came in a triple option, though I've never seen one.

There are also triple adapter chainrings that allow a third, smaller chainring (usually using a 74mm bcd) to be mounted on tabs that extend inward from the middle ring. TA and Willow are brands to look for:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/tripleizer.htm

It might make more sense to look for a SunTour touring freewheel (right up to 38 teeth!) and pick a rear mech to suit. A Huret Duopar will cope, as will most of the '80s SunTour touring models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master

one-eyed_jim wrote:
There are also triple adapter chainrings that allow a third, smaller chainring (usually using a 74mm bcd) to be mounted on tabs that extend inward from the middle ring.

This can be a useful way to get compact double gearing out of a classic crankset. You can set up the adapter ring and granny as a 44-32 double, for example, and put a cyclocross guard in the outer position. You may need a longer bottom bracket axle.

The cost can add up quickly if you're paying full retail prices, but this stuff does come up second hand from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm 
Old School Hero

I actually rode over the Alps in 1981 on my a race bike,a Benotto,which suffered the indignity of having a rack and panniers fitted to it.Not wishing to spend much money,I just made up a Regina 6 speed freewheel,16t to 30t,which after fitting a longer chain work OK with Campag N/R gears.Obviously I couldn't use the 30t sprocket when I was on the big ring but that was never an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone! Much appreciated: I'm sure there's a solution in there somewhere.