Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:03 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Time to 'fess up about my ride in the 25 on Sunday! At least it didn't rain - but it BLEW! I didn't feel I got any help anywhere much and it's a bit exposed in that area between Thorne and Doncaster. I rode the Duralinox, just with drop bars, no tri-bars, and did a personal best - or rather a personal worst! Slowest ever 25 - 1.16.08. I think I was slowest overall, perhaps just beating a guy on a trike! Trouble is that I could hardly walk when I got off the bike back at the event HQ and ever since I feel as if I bruised my dangly bits :oops:

25 miles doesn't (and shouldn't!) seem as far as it did during this ride.

Got the Matlock 10 next Tuesday evening - back to 72" gear again.

Anyone else doing any TT'ing? I'm sure there must be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:57 pm 
Retro Guru

This wind has been a real pain hasn't it? I've had great rides into work but hell coming home. Trying to race 25 miles in it can't have been much fun.

I reckon next year will see my tentative return to time trialling if I keep up the miles I've done so far this year. I'd like to find 10 flattish miles to train on but try doing that in the Colne Valley!

Good luck for the 10.

Mark.

Post subject: help
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

never mind the trials your all guilty get your hands in you pockets for this http://www.justgiving.com/CyclingTrio3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 am 
I reckon next year will see my tentative return to time trialling if I keep up the miles I've done so far this year. I'd like to find 10 flattish miles to train on but try doing that in the Colne Valley! Cartier Love BraceletCartier wedding ringsCartier Bracelet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Who's this troll! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:30 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Rode the Matlock 72" event using the '73 Dave Russell 'Old Skool' on 700c 'clinchers' etc. as usual and did my fastest 72" time of 28-09. This was my 4th 'qualifying ride' and I'm now 5th overall in the season's 'league table' of 72" gear events.

That was on the Tuesday. Saturday I rode the Holme Valley Wheelers 10 at Brotherton on the Buzz lo-pro with disc wheel, tubs, gears, tri-bars - and went 11 seconds slower! 28-20 :oops:

Mind you, it was blowing a near gale and everyone went back several minutes on their season's fastest so it wasn't to bad a ride - and I wasn't the slowest (for a change!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Well done Paul. Have you got any more MG events lined up to try and get "on the podium"? My 10 mile test run tonight was cut short by a combination of fresh chip and seal resurfacing on the A62 and a bit of a downpour. One thing is for certain, the 50/18 bottom gear is no good into the wind so the 13-24 block is going on for Wednesday's effort.

If I get under 28 minutes I'll be very surprised. The result will be posted here on the night unless I collapse straight afterwards!

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 pm 
Retro Guru

So, just done my first race for 15 years - the Elmet CRC Open 10 out at Tadcaster (that's the Yorkshire home of John Smith's beer).

With a pre-race 'phone home for encouragement from the family and the support of Old Ned out on the course I managed to turn in my worst ever 10 mile time trial performance. :oops:

It was 14 seconds slower than my first ever 10 (the previous personal worst) at the tender age of 19 in 1984. The old MKM was willing but my lungs were bursting and the leg muscles screaming as I tore along (ha-ha) at 21mph. I can only get better from here on in - surely.

The time? 27-50. No excuses, it was a fine evening, I was just rubbish.

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:13 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Mark, you do yourself an injustice. That was a good performance for a first ride back, riding 'Old Skool' (with a rubbish selection of gears!). It was hard evening with the wind and the course isn't a fast one by any means. I reckon you did OK.

However, the fact that the Youth event was won by a 15 year old in a time over 5 minutes faster sort of brings you back to reality, doesn't it?

Roll on next season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:
However, the fact that the Youth event was won by a 15 year old in a time over 5 minutes faster sort of brings you back to reality, doesn't it?

Thanks Paul. :roll: I was just getting over the humiliation and now I'll have to start all over again. At least you didn't mention the 14 year old girl who beat me by 3 and a half minutes.... Doh!

I'll enter some more events before the end of the season, even the East Bradford 15. What a weird distance that is! If I don't get a ride so be it.

Mark.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next