Campagnolo Veloce vs Shimano 105 vs SRAM Rival (modern rant)

Which would you choose

• Veloce

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Rival

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
If building a new bike, or bolting to that old steel frame, which modern groupset of the three would you choose and why?

Modern Campag Veloce uses the stupid Quick shift or Ultra shift mechanism, so you no longer get multiple up and downshifts, just multiple upshifts. It works like Shimano Sora, except even more toys R us as the gear lever is plastic!! No problem-free ratchet on the front shifter either as it's indexed in the QS groups, again just like shimano.

So if I was you, of the three I'd choose 105

My personal choice would be save up a bit and get Chorus. Chorus ergos (which are internally identical to record) really are the best. You can go up 3 gears and down 10 in one lever push, parts are readily available if they break. It might make sense to get chorus or record ergos and veloce everything else to save some cash as it's only the ergos that are toys r us below chorus

eastsidebikes":kx41np7e said:
No problem-free ratchet on the front shifter either as it's indexed in the QS groups, again just like shimano.
i thought for 2009 onwards the front indexing had been abandoned in favour of the ratchet. That is certainly the case for centaur - Ive got some, not sure for veloce.
Ive always been a campag man, but there's too much on new campag I dont like - theve softened the gear levers, so theyre not as clunky as they once were, but theyre not as effortless shimano, I cant stand the ugly muck-harbouring skeleton brakes, and the 2-piece bottom bracket axle, designed to be stiff - say no more.
to answer your question, I'd go for 105

I just had the same(ish) dilemma...
I went for the Shimano option but Ultegra as opposed to 105. I do have 105 and it's been really good, no shifting problems at all.
Still think Campy looks better though and if it's an Italian frame then Shimano always looks a little 'wrong' to me... :)

Re: Campagnolo Veloce vs Shimano 105 vs SRAM Rival (modern r

I've got all 2012 Veloce on my Dolan and I like it a lot, more than the 2006 Veloce groupset on my Basso. I don't find the front shifting to be any problem. I also feel that the 3rd generation ergo shape is the most comfy STI/Ergo available.
I do however have a Sram Rival groupset all boxed up ready to go on a current build which I really chose because I am curious to try Sram and like the look of they're stuff. I weighed all the Rival parts and all the parts from a 1987 Dura Ace 7700 grupset and suprisingly the DA stuff is actually 4.1 grams lighter despite being approx 15 years older!
I get back and deliver a verdict between Veloce Vs Rival when I've tried it out. As for 105 I haven't had any 105 stuff newer than down tube shifter days but my mate has it on his modern Trek and it looks neat and the shifting seems very quick and light.
For now I'll reserve my vote until I've ridden the Rival equipped bike.

Oh and BTW... yes, fitting anything other than Campagnolo on an Italian frame is a crime.

Re: Campagnolo Veloce vs Shimano 105 vs SRAM Rival (modern r

Just fitted a cross bike with 5700 105 groupset , It nice and crisp feels quality and not missed a beat.

Back