Brake dilemma

GordonB

Retro Guru
I've had my beautiful Olmo frame with fluted tubing powder coated in a nice deco looking cream colour and I'm now ready to start a rebuild. As it happens I have most of the kit to do either a Campag or Shimano set up but I can't decide which way to go, largely due to an issue I have with brakes and levers. My intention is to use downtube shifters (which as we all know are the only choice for real men ;) ) and I have both Campag friction shifters and Shimano 7 speed indexed available. I also have suitable mechs and chainsets but the brakes are a problem.

I do not want to go with levers that have the traditional top exit as I like the clean look of aero cable routing. In my boxobits is a nice set of Shimano 105 brakes and levers and a very good set of Gran Compe calipers, but nowt by Campag. I suppose I could go with the Gran Compe calipers and fit a pair of new Dia Compe aero levers, which would look ok-ish with a Campag setup but is there an alternative? On balance, I'd like to fit Campag as it's an Italian frame, but has anyone got any advice on brakes and aero levers to match? Better still, has anyone actually got something that would suit!

Gordon

Back