saba frames - info?

wblati

Retro Newbie
Hi,

theres not much info on the net about these frames so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything.

The only info I know is that Roy Cottingham built some frames for them in the 80's out of Columbus Aelle and badged as Saba's with chrome forks / rear drop outs and RH chainstay. I don't know how many he built in total, I bought one off him that was left over from the order.

Saba

Saba was a famous cycle importer in the 70/80's, they were based in london and did a great range of Italian Components, such as Omas Clement, Dietto Petro and great clothing. It was owned by an Italien and cannot think of his name.

A friend of mine who died just before Christmas was a Saba representative for many years. He's often spoken to me with stories about the company - but I've forgotten a lot of it! As for who built the frames - ??? They could have been built by any of the South's itinerant frame builders depending on who was available at the time.

One of the things I never got round to asking him...................... :cry:

Phil Edwards was the importer they came from Northern Italy,Charlie Newman was the rep selling to the local bike shops

Saba

Andy

wasnt Phil Edwards Caratti sport from Bristol with his brother Mark???
was the Saba owner called Italo something ????

Re: Saba

orbeas":2v9wwktl said:
Andy

wasnt Phil Edwards Caratti sport from Bristol with his brother Mark???
was the Saba owner called Italo something ????

I think you're correct Barry. Surname is Berigliano or something like that. I'm sure I'll have it somewhere. Ceeway Marketing is the current company that developed from Saba. They still sell the same Long Chen lugs, Columbus tubing etc.

wblati":vwgpkrfh said:
Hi,

theres not much info on the net about these frames so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything.

Well, this thread already has more info than I was able to find! ;)

just recieved the frame - seems a bit heavier than my previous frame(joe waugh 531).

the columbus sticker says 'ACCACIAIO SPECIALE' and theres no markings on either ends. anyone have any more info on this.

The Edwards brothers did indeed run Carrati Sport. Carrati was apparently their mother's name although that may not be true.

According to the interent 'ACCACIAIO SPECIALE' means it'll be full SL ,SP or a mix depending on the builder and frame size .

Back