Help with a dating on some wheels

darrstl

Dirt Disciple
Hi, new here.

I have some GP4's (tubs) on 105 hubs, apparently the shiny polished ones (although they need a bit of a clean) built by Simon Daw of Buckley Saxon cycles.

I'm trying to date them and maybe sell. They are the last of the rims with the red diamond sticker.

Any ideas on year, price etc. I realise I need to post a few more times on here before I can sell something so don't want to offer them and break the rules.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I agree with the dating on the rims. The hubs would be the original HB1050 / FH1050s if they're shiny silver, and that would probably place them not much later than 1990 (when they were replaced by the later version with a silvery - gold "painted" finish).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that they're still going strong!

hahaha, did not expect that. Hi Simon.

They were attached to a Brian Wilkins frame in blue, complete 105 groupset (currently stripped while I decide what to do as I really need something a bit more chunky and with mudguard/pannier racks for commuting). My biking buddy bought it from his shop in Safron Waldon, I think it is closed down now.

Still loverly btw, would be a real shame to see them go as they have given me a love of tubs.

Thanks for the welcome!

I've not been involved in the cycle trade for a few years now, since retraining as a teacher in 2001. While I was training I did the odd job - especially wheel building, obviously - but really don't have the time now. Buckley-Saxon Cycles ceased trading in November 2002, as many probably know.

If the pressure gets piled on much more and that nice Mr Gove squeezes my pay and pension to any greater degree then perhaps building wheels might become a better option for me once again! :(

This is an interesting forum; I rode my first road race for sixteen years last season, and got some interesting comments about my seven-speed cassette (a Shimano Ultegra freehub of only slightly more recent vintage than the 105s which started this thread, as it happens!) from some of the other competitors! I therefore feel quite at home here.

Anyway, it's good to hear from everyone.

Back