What was I thinking?

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

At the heart of this mess is my favourite frame. A Daccordi in Columbus SL which I bought new from Wielersport (Bognor Regis) in 1986 or 1987. To cut a long story short I had the very short steerer replaced a couple of years ago and went threadless. Now having seen some lovely old bikes on here I think I should have had a threaded one put on instead to keep it proper Retro.

Daccordi.jpg

As you might be able to see it has a right old mix of Campag on it. There's Super Record - brakes and seatpin plus Veloce 8 speed downtube shifters and rear mech and a Record "10 speed" front mech. I have the original Super Record chainset, bottom bracket and front mech but putting those components on with the chunky stem and carbon fibre 'bars will just look a bit weird won't it? I've also got the original wheels (Record hubs on Mavic GL330 rims). At least the Tektro brake levers almost look like Campag in profile albeit modern style.

So, what do I do now?

I'm torn between completing the modern look and going back to 1987. The more I look at the front end the more I want my quill stem back and seeing billholding's Castorama Raleigh is pushing me in that direction I think.

What do you wise Retrobike sages say?

Mark.

If you're going to take it back in a retro direction to 1987, can I have first dibs on the Veloce downtube shifters please? :LOL:

I've never ridden a bike with a clamp on stem, but on looks alone, I'd choose a quill stem every time.

Re: Back to the Future!

roadking":dgsrq1zu said:
1987 was a good year, take your Daccordi back there!

Roadking.

Yes it was a good year, I was still racing then and life was simple. If only I had a time machine...

Goldie":1d8opnr2 said:
I've never ridden a bike with a clamp on stem, but on looks alone, I'd choose a quill stem every time.

Never used to be a big fan of threadless, but have definitely warmed to it. Headsets are easier to fit and adjust and seem to need less tweaking after bedding-in.
Quill stems do have the edge on looks, mind you, although not all threadless stems are big chunky things that look more at home on a mountain bike (e.g. ITM made their excellent Eclypse steel stem in a threadless format and looks a treat on my cross bike).

David

Old Ned":35w813qa said:
You need some nice close clearance steel forks for it ;)

And 'proper' stem.

I know Paul, I'm just trying to summon up the courage to buy them after I rashly told my wife I wouldn't be buying any more bike gear for a good while.

They're still not as pretty as a quill stem, but Velo Orange make some nice looking polished a-heads.

stem.jpg

Freshtripe probably sell them, or you can probably order direct from the excellent Velo Orange website.

Back