Fork repair - preferably. W. Mids

Simplex

Retro Guru
Any recommendations for the above. I've got a pair with bent legs and I suspect they probably need the legs replacing. They are painted over chrome so I think it is going to be expensive. :(

Really depends on the type of bike and tubing, and what you expect. Anything with tubing below 531 or similar can be easily set cold, I used to do loads of them. The ordinary seamed tubing is ductile, and can normally be pulled close to the original.

I could put one hand on a bend half way down a raleigh fork, and pull from the fork end with the other. A bit stronger than lead pipe.

If you can send some pictures I might be able to suggest something.

They're from an early 80's Bianchi and Columbus SL I think. There is crazing to the paint work on the front of the legs near the top. The fact that there is crazing and a chunk of paint missing on the back makes me thing they;ve been straightened. In all an unknown quantity , I think the safest option is new legs if the metal has been taken beyond its elastic limit in both directions.

Side.jpg

Front.jpg

Back_2.jpg

Nothing like getting hands on them, but I would not want to pull Columbus SL fork blades.

Looks about 2cm back in the pics.
Not much help really.

I can put them on my jig and look at them for you.You cant tell how much damage from the photos but fork legs are stronger than you think and can be put back into shape.If weakened they either snap at the column where the crown race meets or at the top of the leg just under the crown edge

Back