Modolo Morphos shifters

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
These seemed interesting for the sort of person who cannot work out what wheels / sprockets / chainsets they like.. (i.e. me).

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/modolo-morph ... rc=froogle

Has anyone tried these? The later models apparently can do 5/6 speed index, Shimano 7,8,9,10 and also Campag 9,10 All on the same lever.

Left hand lever can also do 2,3 chainrings.

One of the benefits I can see is not having to change levers, cables, bar tape etc if you are changing mechs.

Wondered if they were any good? reviews seems to say they are Ok but a bit of a pig to get set up initially.

Might even try some. hmm..

Just to clarify why I am interested - I have never used a brake shifter on a road bike and last used index gears on a road bike about 18 years ago.

Modolo Morphos

I have had the 6,7,8 speed version for about 15 years and there are some quirks. They are a real beggar to set up in the first place and in everyday use, dont shift as quickly or accurately as the proper Shimano or Campag kit. I wouldnt dream of racing with them !

However, if you have lots of old wheels like me, then its a godsend to swap them around without worrying too much.

Thanks for the info - I had read some reviews that seem to span several years and it seems that the units have been developed and improved - they still mention some of what you say but it seems to be less of a problem now. The earlier reviews (2002) seem a bit more scathing.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/contr ... 11crx.aspx

I would likely be using them on more relaxed bike rides anyway.

I had them (3s) and found the thumb buttons fairly hard to operate , as they were not particulary ergonomic for me . They use them for both up AND down movements. If i was looking for 7speed shimano STIs now i would just buy Soras.

I've had some of these for about 6 or seven years I forget exactly, I set them up on a Shimano 3/7(21'speed') road/tourer...I have had no problems at all to be honest the rear shifts better than the old Sora IMHO pretty slick and reliable, the front ring(left lever) is more laboured and needs a double click/shift..like has been said I wouldn't race with them...you need fairly large hands and strong thumbs.
They are useful and I wouldn't sell mine as they are so versatile, mine are currently being built up into a Wilson TT bike for mainly indoor/ bad weather use mainly on the turbo trainer.

Latest posts

Back