Bar tape - how to choose the right colour?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
It's often difficult to see past classic black or white, but when does it make sense to use other colours - to compliment details (panels, decals)? To offer a contrast (yellow tape and saddle on a blue frame)? And does saddle and tape have to match?

Sage advice, particularly if accompanied by illustrative photos, would be great.

A cyclist should know the value of thrift. The only rule I follow is "whatever's in the £2 bin at the LBS":

cinelli_splash.jpg

Okay, I admit, I draw the line at stars and stripes...

Bar tape.

You can't beat a single classic colour using Cinelli or Benotto tape, I like to colour match tape, cables and sometimes the saddle - although you are often limited with saddle colours.

I hate multi-coloured bar tape...it is very 80s retro, but in the worst possible taste!

For example, I have one bike painted pearl white with red cables and a red San Marco Rolls saddle with red Benotto bar tape on a Cinelli Giro d'Italia handlebar with the classic Cinelli 1a stem.

Oh, and to complete the ensemble; chrome Cinelli logo'd handlebar end caps.

Roadking.

On an older bike, white or black.

On moderns, rule of thumb is match tyres,tape and maybe saddle to some of the detailst on the frame.

Why not try to go for a mahogany colour? I find it very classy and stylish.
Can't post pictures yet, but a red-brown fits great with a black framed bike.

one-eyed_jim":2txu68lw said:
A cyclist should know the value of thrift. The only rule I follow is "whatever's in the £2 bin at the LBS":

cinelli_splash.jpg

Okay, I admit, I draw the line at stars and stripes...

The stuff of nighmares. Horrible. :shock:

Back