50's triumphs Sports /clubman frames?

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone got any pictures or sales pics of 50's Triumphs? Ive been offered a bike that i can only assume is 50's and triumph, I saw it briefly and know its fitted with benelux 5 speed, and is a clubman style frame. Has caliper brakes, dropped bars, usual 50's racer... But i dont know what year it is. It hasnt got a SA hub to date it.... Or what model it is...

Anyone know their old triumphs?

Wiki is wrong on this, I think Raleigh bought Triumph Cycles in 1954.
Raleigh in UK sold their 3 main makes, sometimes only one to a particular retailer, but also offered everyone Triumph as a cheaper line.
I have seen catalogues for 1950's, trying to remember.
If it's Raleigh it will have the Raleigh headset.
It will be made of the cheap seam welded raleigh tubing, sometimes known as "gas pipe", used on all raleigh makes unless labelled 531.

Cool... Ive got the bike now. Its been un-used since the early 70's supposedly, But i chucked some air in the tyres and it rides... :D

Ill try get pics but my camera is being crap..
Its very rusty though so i think itll be more of a wall piece than anything in the new workshop... Would still like to find out some more info on it.

Google turns up nothing more than gents bikes and motorbikes.. :?

Yeah it seems like a gaspipe bike.. Not that it bothers me realy... never mind a good solid steel bike :LOL: Guess theres not much way of telling if its 531 after the sticker has gone walkies?

With a bike of this age the seat tube will be 1 1/8 inch diameter. I don't remember 531 being used on any Triumph, but the inside diam of the seat tube will tell you. 27.2mm for butted 531, and my memory has just gone, but you can look up the rest. (I am 77)
If you take the seat pillar out you may be able to see or feel the electric welded seam.
We used to think of the tubing as heavyweight, but it did the job. Pretty soft (ductile) but you could straighten it after an accident We have since been confused by the old American idea of a lightweight.
Italian racing type frames of the 1950's were usually heavier, and I could not believe the stuff used in Taiwan in the 70's.

Back