Any advice for a newbie rebuilding a Mixte?

MrBen

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I've picked up a 10 speed Puch Mixte to build up for the girlfriend. I know its nothing special but she likes the look of it and thats half the battle won already! :) She already KNOWS what it will look like when its finished, I just have to build it up now.

I used to happily take bikes to bits and rebuild them when I was a kid, unfortunately 20 years later I seem to have forgotten it all and my 'Yeah, I could fix that up' when she showed me a picture of the bike seems a little bit ambitious now :)

Any advice and pointers on how to go about the rebuild would be much appreciated. And sorry for all the dumb questions I'm likely to ask.

Don't care if parts are new or used, as long as they are up to the job.

I need some alloy 700c wheels as the old ones appear to be knackered and I'd like to put alloy on to help the stopping power. Its going to have 32mm or 35mm tyres on it when its done. I've been looking for a cheapish pair on ebay but there seem to be lots of options these days and don't really know what I need. The bike currently has Simplex gears on it. 5 cogs at the back, 2 at the front. Apparently I'll need a freewheel. The rear cogs are covered in rust so I don't know if its worth getting some that are rust-free to start with? Where do I start!?

I also need to overhaul the brakes - going to replace all the cables and blocks, is there anything else to look at?

sorry for the long post - I know I'll have loads more questions - any help and pointers would be great and thank you for your patience!

Pictures always help :) there are a few sizes you'll need depending on what your replacing. For instance the space between the rear wheel drop outs are important when looking for new wheels. Ideally make a list of the parts you want to replace and find out what you need to replace them with.

Also park tools website is excellent for online maintenance guides.

Mixte

Dont forget to get a specific ladies saddle. They do make a lot of difference to being comfortable and her enjoying riding her bike.

I've just got a Mixte too :D

Mine is a 531 framed Raleigh Richmond and, like you, she likes it! Battle won I say!

Most of the stuff from that age is compatible. Things you need to know:

27" and 700c wheels are different diameters, with the 27" being about 10mm bigger in diameter. Tyres aren't interchangeable between the two but the brakes should have enough reach to use either on the bike. You'll get a bigger range of tyre sizes with 700c wheels.

You're right with the gears. It's probably got a 5-speed freewheel. If it's rusted out, they are still available new and lots of eBay sellers have them.

Two things might catch you out if you want to replace them but don't measure them. The seatpost diameter and the handlebar diameter in the middle. Lots of sizes, just make sure you get the right one.

Otherwise, pretty much everything is available new. Brake cables are very cheap in Wilkinsons if you have one locally, as are budget tyres.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll get out with a camera and tape measure tomorrow, then figure out a list. It was sold as 700c so I hope it is!

She's already decided she wants a Brooks saddle!

We were going to keep the seat post and handlebars to start with and see how she finds it. If she doesn't get on with them then we'll switch them.

We have a Wilko fairly local - thanks for the tip :) will go have a look.

On the wheels - I was kind of hoping that I could find someone selling off an old pair with the right free wheel attached! Wishful thinking I know :)

@roadking - I'm surprised - Mixte's seem quite popular at the moment. We were looking for a 531 framed bike but everything went for more than we had in the budget. Thought I was saving myself some work getting a complete bike, but tbh I would probably been better off spending a bit more on the complete bike or just getting the right frame. Was it a complete bike or just the frame and fork?

That's a good price. I paid £45 for mine but I've had to junk the wheels and give it a damn good overhaul. Plus it didn't have any gears or anything, because it had been switched to single speed at some point.

Finally feel human enough to do something on the bike (none of this man flu rubbish either :( ) so got out with the tape measure.

The bikes a Puch Cavette - Space between the rear dropouts is 130mm. Its got Weinmann Type 810 brakes, and has 10sp Simplex gears and 700c wheels.

The most pressing stuff to replace is:

Wheels and tyres - struggling a bit with finding suitable wheels as I'd like alloy
Pedals - plan to pick up some MKS Sylvan
Chain as the current one is rusty as hell
Brake cables and blocks
gear cables

Not much really...

Here a few pics as requested :) Taken last night in the garage - so slightly crap but you should get the idea:

P1100793.jpg

P1100795.jpg

P1100782.jpg

Is there anywhere in particular you'd recommend to get a few tools from - like a chain splitter?

£50 is a good price. Shame I've got this one now. Thought getting a full bike would be easier but I suspect its not going to be.

wow, beautiful.
what tube set is this? aren't these Reynolds stickers?

Being an Austrian, I love Puch, of course *g*

if it really has 130mm rear spacing, you can use any modern rear wheel/Cassette and upgrade it to a modern shifting system. But the Simplex should shift nicely, if friction is ok for your girlfriend.

I switched the bike for mine to Shimano SIS, so she feels more confident in using it.

really a beautiful bike. I'd recommend Continental 4-Seasons in 28mm if these are within your budget. And get modern Coolstop/Swisstop brake pads!

Latest posts

Back