1982 Viscount Dura-Ace AX

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I've come acrss this advert in the September 1982 issue of 'Cyclist Monthly' magazine. It appears to be a cracking bike with an excellent spec.

Columbus SL tubing
Mavic GP4 32 hole sprint rims with Clement tubulars
Full Dura-Ace AX groupset
Viscount engraved frame components
ISCA Tornado suede saddle
3TTT 'aero' handlebars on Shimano AX stem
Aero frame fitting pump, bottle and cage

Head angle is specified as 75 degree which is rather steep - but no seat angle is mentioned. Weight given as 23lbs. Available in 21" to 25" sizes.

No mention of price - if you have to ask, you can't afford it ;)

Anybody got one - or even seen one?

Attachments

• ViscountDuraAceAXSept82.A.jpg
    ViscountDuraAceAXSept82.A.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,561
Golly, I do like that. There is definitely space in my garage for a red and white Viscount. Would the frame still have been UK made?

Goldie":2f3txx6p said:
Golly, I do like that. There is definitely space in my garage for a red and white Viscount. Would the frame still have been UK made?

Quite probably. I have a feeling that some of the old 'Knight' frame builders might have been involved - but as usual could be wrong or getting mixed up with something else!

I've got a lower model Viscount from (I think) about '79. It rides really nicely and I was going to sell it, but can't bring myself to get rid of it. Riding position is great; the saddle is quite vertically over the cranks, short cranks quite high up on the bike compared to my other bikes and you can really get a shift on, for what isn't a particularly expensive or exotic bike.

That was the first cycle magazine I ever bought, do you still have it? It originally came with a brochure for the Raleigh Record Ace, that magazine would love the opportunity to have a read through it again if you still have it, the Viscount was on the back cover as I remember, a great looking bike, but I have never seen one yet!

Back