Ribble frame- Frank Herety ??

colnagokid

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I have been gifted this Ribble frame/forks as a winter project.

1.Bad points: sheared rear dropout where adjuster screw would enter
very stuck seatpost- apparently it has been knocked down into seat tube....I have already broke my small engineering bench vice trying to remove!!!!

Would anyone know how much to have a new rear dropout brazed in?

Any tips to remove seat post (chemically or otherwise) appreciated.

2. Also looking for info on steel Ribbles. I understand that Ribble used a number of local framebuilders to fabricate their frames. This particular frame has the code " FH...SL...14" on the b.b.

As you will see from the pics, there are no decals to identify the frame tubing.However,is there a possibility that the late Frank Herety was a sub-contracted framebuilder to Ribbles?

I have previously owned 2 Herety frames both built from Columbus tubing & recall they were similarly stamped with "FH" and "SL" to reflect SL tubing.

I think this frame may be worth repair.....appreciate any comments/advice......

Attachments

• Dec 18 017.jpg
    Dec 18 017.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,647
  • Dec 18 018.jpg
    Dec 18 018.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2,647
  • Dec 18 021.jpg
    Dec 18 021.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,647
Seat post removal.

Sounds crazy but old timers say Coca Cola works, make a plasticene funnel around top of seat tube and fill with the soda (sorry I've lived in the USA, a coke is a soda).

Leave for however long...or dissolve the pin out using something stronger.

Regarding the dropout, I'd be suprised if you could get it done properly for much less than £50 (might even be £75).

Rear end will need retracking etc.

Roadking.

x2 for Bob Jackson. Did some work on my road bike (an Argos, ironically) a while back and I was very happy with the standard and especially the price. Did take a few weeks though.

Definitely worth a repair!

Ribble/Frank Herety

Many thanks for the helpful replies so far; I'll certainly be 'phoning round once the shops open tomorrow........

Anyone got any thoughts on Frank Herety frame building for Ribble??

Lori

Frank would never tell stuff like that. He was very secretive and not always very friendly.

It was an open secret round Stockport that he used to build wheels for Discount Cycles in Cheadle though, so I don't suppose it's out of the question he'd build frames for others. It's not like you saw very many Herety frames around so he must have kept himself busy somehow.

Hi New to this site but not new to Frank Herety, he was a close friend of mine for many years and he did build frames for Ribble, hence the FH stamp ansd SL being obvious Columbus tubes. My own Herety special is #162. Frank was a great fellow but did not suffer fools and time wasters gladly as too many of them would stop him from earning a living by talking incessantly and mostly inaccurately. Yes he did build wheels for Discount cycles but only as a means to an end, Frank was desperately trying not to build any more frames as the brazing fumes were crippling his health, he also dealt in antiques too with a very good eye for the good stuff.

regards
dave s

Welcome to the forum Dave and thanks for the info. I've always rated Frank's work, a lot of which was obviously 'hidden' by being branded for someone else. The one frame I really liked the look of was a tandem one, really short wheelbase, with the rear seat tube being flat and curved around the rear wheel. I've got a photo in an old Cycling somewhere I think.

BTW, did you ride time trials BITD with a Manchester club?

Hi Ned, no I never road cycles competitively, just for fun, I raced motorcycles in competition though. Franks work was always top notch, it was only compromised by the buyer on spec and materials (frames for other makes that is) his wheels are just so sweet, mine are still true and tensioned after 16 years and I try not to use the brakes if I can, which is why they have lasted. I really need to find another set of wheels to rest these original ones for future use and originality.

regards
dave s

Back