Pelissier hubs

ninety

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
Hello

As you may have seen elsewhere, I've just picked up a new road bike with a weird mix of components on it. The frame, mechs, bars, stem, seatpost etc are from the late 80s/early 90s, but the wheels are a mystery - they're Mavic MA2s laced to Pelissier hubs of the type shown below (I'm not with the bike at the moment, so I've used the only picture I could find on the net with the same script-type logo). The hubs made of alloy and are smooth and silent. The rear uses a screw-on freewheel, currently a 7 speed. I can find very little information on Pelissier products (I've been on Velobase and Classic Rendezvous) and I wondered if anyone on here could shed some more light?

Thanks

Andrew
(photo used from http://arupdesigns.co.uk/blog/archives/472)

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,592
You've probably heard of Henri Pélissier - I think he won the Tour way back in the 20s.

I'm not sure when, but a company named after him started making nice hubs. That company got absorbed by Maillard, who then got absorbed by Sachs.

I don't know how special your hubs are, although they look pretty nice. Maillard was certainly making 'low-end' hubs in the 70's and 80's, though they probably only branded the high-end stuff 'Pelissier'. Yours look 'high-end' i.e. they could well be as good as Record. Certainly worth keeping, and looking after !

The MA2s are nothing special though.

Good luck researching all this.

Ive got a what appear to be the same hubs on some rigida rims on an an old carlton that i have in pieces all over the garage. i couldnt find much about them when I started looking a few months ago, other than what 1988_ben has stated. if you find anything out i'd be interested. cheers

Thanks for that Ben - I'm not sure how they ended up on this bike!

I've actually got a low end Sachs Maillard hub on the back of the Argos and it's not the greatest. The Pelissiers do feel buttery smooth by comparison - most of the info I've found so far relates to 1000/2000 models, which carry a more modern logo. From what I can tell, my type of logo was used throughout the 60s and had gone by the 80s. All a bit vague...

In Gallery 2 there is a catalogue on the very nice Professional 2000 hubs :)

i have used many a bike with plessier hubs on always worked very well and never gave any trouble at all , so get a thumbs up from me

Maillard, Pelissier, Atom, Normandy (and Milremo which could be anything!) all appear to me to have come out of the same factory. Is this correct or am I guessing wrong! Eponimous French brands that were in common use even when other French brands weren't.

Pelissier seem to have been a better quality item of the group.

Thanks all for the replies-M.Pellisier certainly sounds quite a 'character'...
From looking around,I get the feeling mine are very much the bread and butter model.Those 2000s do look lovely and they'd be a better match for the rest of the bike,I feel as though I need newer wheels or an older frame...

Re:

Thread from the dead resurrection.
I’ve got a set of the same script logo hubs laced to some Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elite Rims & I’m trying to workout what model hub these are

Back