6 speed options

dubmaster77

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys!
Bit of a newbie question here.
I have an 80s 103 Carbolite framed Peugeot with a Helcomatic rear hub which is making some strange noises.
Im considering buying some new rims but am not sure how to get round the fact that 6 speed compatible hubs are not readily availible.
Is it fairly straight forward to convert to 7 speed?
I think im right in thinking the hubs are wider?
Or..... Sugestions please!?!
Stu :cool:

Actually you can still buy newly built wheels with screw on hubs and at cheap prices too. Here's the first thing that came up in a search on ebay but are 130mm OLN, you probably want 126mm for the Pug.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/27-Weinmann-Front ... 20b5c7c719

As for converting you can fit up to 8 speed rear sprockets on screw on freewheels so did you mean getting 7 speed cassette hubs?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Im pretty certain 5 and 6 speed were 120mm Over Locknut Distance , then 7 speed was 126mm and 8+ is 130mm OLD, you may as well measure your frame and see what it is set to.
Carbolite was carbon steel i think that will be happy to do any width you want.

Hi,
Thanks for the replys, Tony I meant as in 7 speed+
I figured the frame would take a slight bend but wondering about deraliur compatibility too?
Would like some aero style rims.
not overly fussed about having more gears just wondering if there were any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Back