ASSOS Rims

leeh

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I have the chance of some NOS Assos Tubular Rims 700c I already own an Assos Bottom Bracket, I could maybe try build small group out Assos components, But with Regards Assos Rims, do they need special Spokes and are the tyres to fit these rims OK to get hold of.

thanks

The only Assos rims I can recall where 16mm wide, you'd struggle to get tubs for these now. I know someone who used to have some, I'm seeing him at the weekend so will ask him about them.

Yup, those Assos rims were pretty small, 16mm wide. You'd get some 21mm tubs on though, as the tyre seat radius is well sized:

IMG_7743.jpg

There's a groove for the backseam, so the tyres sit straight and there's no bulge at the valve :D

Probably around 280g per rim.

Have a look out for their saddle too, plain or perforated :cool:

All the best,

Thanks for the replies,

I am still in two minds to buy them or not,

Rookilo, ask your mate see what he says, these rims will be costing me £125 are they worth that much? as for me building up a little group! just wondering ,will I ever get hold of the super rare Assos crankset

danson67, how did you manage to get that cross section of that Rim, was that rim worn or was it just knackered out or buckled too bad.

Leeh,

The rim was a badly buckled 24"/520mm one which I stripped for the 28 hole Mavic hub. Bad things happen even to good rims ;)

Price seems pretty steep though, I'd haggle. These were on LFGSS in August:

Assos.jpg

http://www.lfgss.com/thread48431.html £70 pair of complete wheels. Still available as far as I can tell.

OK they're silver, but nice condition with Super Record hubs :shock:

Assos also had a crankset and pedals:
DF8A247A-0AD4-4AE9-BD7F-DDB371E6B372.jpg

FACA3508-8597-4E47-B245-FAC169E0AA79.jpg

Both look a bit Ofmega to me, possibly Gipiemme?
The whole lot would look great with something a bit freaky like a Duopar derailleur and Modolo Kronos brakes :cool:

All the best,

ahh the chainset was gorgeous!! for some reason, "strange" time triallers would use things like this along with huret jubilee rear mechs, modolo kronos brakes and cinell "clipless" pedals and infeasibly large front chainrings!- us mainstream roadies were all on super record at the time in spite of the slipping gears - cos it looked COOL!! lol :cool:
now as for the rims, i remember that you got them in two widths - i'm sure they were 16mm and 18mm. you certainly needed special nipples for them - they were alloy and i'm sure i have some still left somewhere! if i find them i will put up a photo.
sandy gilchrist of said cycle shop in edinburgh would be able to tell you all about them.

best of luck!
rusty

leeh":qlvezkax said:
Rookilo, ask your mate see what he says, these rims will be costing me £125 are they worth that much? as for me building up a little group! just wondering ,will I ever get hold of the super rare Assos crankset

danson67, how did you manage to get that cross section of that Rim, was that rim worn or was it just knackered out or buckled too bad.

Hi, I didn't see him over the weekend, I might see him on Sunday. Cheers.

Don't worry too much about the nipples...:shock: You might not need special ones...

My 16mm rim section hasn't been drilled out and fits all the ACI, DT and Sapim nipples I have, brass and alu. :)

All the best,

Thanks for the replies, I am a bit late checking on the forum.

I did read somewhere about special nipples needed

danson67, you say I Might not need special ones it's a bit expensive if I do though and I cant get hold of any, Could you give me more of a definitely on that

Rookilo, no worries, if you see him, see what he says about it.

Has anyone got a Assos Chain-Set they would like to do a deal or Sale me :LOL:

Thank's

Back