just picked this up

G4ZZ

Retro Newbie
Just picked this up off ebay what you guys think? seller said in listing it has a Dura ace bottom bracket when its actually the chainset and its also got campagnolo headset, seat post and cinelli stem and bars.
did i get a good buy?

Probably not a bad buy. Most likely mid/late 90's with the early 8 speed 600 STI's. Like you say, the seller sounds as if he didn't know a lot - 'maverick 40' rims!

Old Ned":26ixtgms said:
Probably not a bad buy. Most likely mid/late 90's with the early 8 speed 600 STI's. Like you say, the seller sounds as if he didn't know a lot - 'maverick 40' rims!

+1, looks decent value to me. Although most of the kit is 600, looks from one of the pics as though the hubs are DA [1], which is a bonus.

David

[1] Despite my borderline obsession with obscure Euro road components, even I like Dura-Ace hubs. Got a rear one on the 'cross bike - smooth and fuss-free.

I think given the spec you did very nicely indeed, in fact it's a steal @ £280, very jealous :cool:
The wheels are open 4CD on DA hubs so worth almost a onecer if in good shape. The 600STI units look in good shape to, on the US market they go for around the £80-£100 add in the other bits and you got pretty much a free frame & forks.
Proper result :D

Re: Value

orbeas":3ces1ipo said:
Think Paginni bikes were made by Pete Mathews in Liverpool ?????

The e-bay bike is labelled 'Paganini', Pete's brand name - for his wheels at least - was Pianni. There's one of his bikes in this link which has his name on the frame but Pianni rims.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 5af2e8c6b8

Here's a comment taken from Bikeforums -

'Classic1 is right about Paganini being a house brand of Plum Vainqueur (Gent, Belgium); the frames were made by Torpado (Italy).'

Thanks guys i'm well happy with it. It was kept in the fellas spare room so is in pretty good condition apart from some spots of pitting on the forks and the hubs look dull in the listing pics but in person are more or less a mirror finish. I'll be stripping it down the weekend to give it a good going over and a polish so will post some pics.

I've been tryining to find out as much as i can about the Paganini but cant find much apart from what has been mentioned above. I may give the shop the fella bought the bike from in the early 90's a bell Martyn Ashfeild bikes in Risca Wales.

Back