Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Peugeot Paint
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 pm 
Old School Hero

Are Peugeots known for their shoddy paintwork? Ive got a 753 frame on which the paintwork is rather flaky.

In particular the forks. These were painted over the chrome, which probably makes it less stable (ive stripped the paint completely from them, look very nice now), but even the paint on the frame seems very thin and not very high quality considering it was a high end frameset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:41 am 

Hm, I have low-end Peugeot and I shouldn't say that paint is weak. Few layers, including transparent, which is very hard, harder - comparing to typical car acryl.
Are You really sure of having original paint? Maybe someone resprayed slapdash and putted stickers. I don't believe shoddy paint on high-end model, by the way - is this a Chorus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 am 
Old School Hero

h/k wrote:
Hm, I have low-end Peugeot and I shouldn't say that paint is weak. Few layers, including transparent, which is very hard, harder - comparing to typical car acryl.
Are You really sure of having original paint? Maybe someone resprayed slapdash and putted stickers. I don't believe shoddy paint on high-end model, by the way - is this a Chorus?

Yep, very definitely original paintwork. Ive 2 other Peugeots, a 653 and one a 531 (3 main tubes). The paintwork is better on the 531, but that is the later model, the 653 is better (again worst over the chrome, which isnt a surprise) The 653 is shimano 600 tricolor and the 753 was I believe purchased as a frameset only in about 1990.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:09 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I have a 531 Pug, early 90's, just off to the powder coaters, original paint was okay. Just looking a little tatty due to abuse by previous owner/s.