New chainset query

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I'm fitting a new square taper crank/chainset and my query is this;

Should I put grease on the bottom bracket spindle shaft - the part onto which the chainset fits ? (Some websites seem to recommend 'dry' fitting) - might this not make them difficult to remove at some later date ?

Which grease would be best - lithium, copper or something else.

Also, which would be the best grease to put on the crank bolts ?

I've never fitted a crank/chainset before, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Ah, the greased taper question :cool:

There seems to be no consensus on this one! If you put any on, it's a tiny amount, just a smear onto the tapers.
When Chris Bell of Highpath sent back some cranks he had modified for me, I noticed that he had put a little blob of grease onto the tapers. Personally I'm prepared to trust his knowledge.

I generally use copperslip on the tapers and also the crank bolts. The whole thing gets regularly sloshed with salty water, so I think it's a good idea to stop it all corroding together.

I just tend to rub slightly greasy fingers around the taper before fitting the cranks. One school of thought reckons that if you do use grease it allows the crank to 'slide' further up the taper than it would if put on dry which can ultimately enlarge the hole and lead to premature wear. Whether this is correct or not I have no idea.

I've always lightly greased my tapers and bolts and never had a problem with premature wear. Even if the grease does allow the crank to slide further on you would have to be taking them off and putting them back on very frequently for this to be a problem surely.

Mark.

If you use grease and tighten bolts with a torque-wrench then you have little to worry about - sound engineering practise is always to lube mating surfaces. You'd really have to give it some welly the split a crank. I use a medium grade Loctite thread-locker on crank bolts - it's an anti-seize and just provides an extra layer of assurance.

Back