Z Team bikes

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
In replying to the 'what is your favourite era thread' I recall that I always loved the way the Z team bikes looked, however I know precious little about them, I seem to think they were branded 'LeMond' in the later days but what frames did they use, and what componentry?

I am especially interested in the early days before the carbon bikes.

Cheers. :D

Z (and Lemond) you say? I've uploaded a few from my PC. Complete selection here > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... htId=81390

From memory Greg and the team rode the TVT framed carbon bike in '90 and the Calfee carbon frame in '91. During this period they also rode various steel frames badged as Lemond built by Bilato Bros. Although I've seen (unsubstantiated) claims that Della Santa built Lemonds personal steel frames.

main.php

Greg on a Calfee built Lemond carbon

main.php

Greg on a TVT Lemond carbon

main.php

Greg on a Lemond Ti. Think these were Litespeed built.

main.php

Millar on a steel Lemond 1990.

main.php

Greg's garage

main.php

(Alleged) ex-team steel frame

main.php

Unknown rider (Pensec?) on a steel Lemond

main.php

GDL!

main.php

Unknown GAN rider on steel

main.php

Lemond on steel

Forget where most of these came from, rights to original owners and all that[/i]

According to cycling archives Z rode Peugeot 87, 88 and 89.

z88.jpg

Of course GDL rode for Z 87-92 then GAN 93-95 so would've ridden Peugeot, Lemonds and finally Merckxs

gan95.jpg

Who owns the (alleged) ex-team steel frame? Looks sweet as.

And good to see Millar, idiosyncratic to the end, with toeclips in 1990.

very suprised to what look like SRM power cranks on his titanium frame. GAn was 95/6/7? were they around that early?

ededwards":6gohqa0b said:

The same with Kelly in the first picture I'm sure. Kelly used them for ages before trying clipless.

Iwasgoodonce":14gny65s said:
ededwards":14gny65s said:

The same with Kelly in the first picture I'm sure. Kelly used them for ages before trying clipless.

Read through my thread above. There's a photo of team bikes on cars with one having clips and straps in '92, possibly Kelly's spare.

Back