Can you help me identify bike. carlton?

playford

Retro Guru
I just saw this for sale, seller says its light and he thinks it was called jim something.

It looks 1950's ish from the crank and the wrap over seat stays.

old carlton maybe? under all that?

28654607.jpg

any help appreciated

Hi, the wrapover stay, the rear brake bridge, and pump braze ons on the top tube all point to a late sixties / early seventies carlton. The model clues would be under the paint ( i.e. semi chromed fork, lug shape ) and checkout the web resources on carltons. A rough guess - carlton corsa / continental, tube wise nothing special but a good retro bike. The crank is a raleigh which means you will be stuck with raleigh products in that area if you rebuild. Check out http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/home.htm thanks Terry

ANy chance of a better picture?

The chainwheel 'cob-web' design points to the 1970s.

THE FRAME HAS CRESPERA LUGS.

Its been respray obviously and could be a number of models, although the one-piece chainwheel points to a Continental, it did not have centre pulls around this time.

Might be an old International, is there chrome beneath the fork tips?

I cant tell you anymore at present lads as I was finding out a bit about it before purchasing.

it comes with two wheels as well,Which I presume are just the originals but no tyres.

wanted £75, I reckon £50 is about right as it'll need a full bare metal strip and rebuild.

What you reckon?

I breath easier once that bar tape is off and that horrible paint is off the frame lol

Not a bad price, looking at the pics it has a Simplex lever which may well point to a Criterium possibly a Cobra, but then the chrome would show through under the paintwork.

Back