Low-end Bianchi - what to do?

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,

I was given this Bianchi last week by a colleague who said "use it for spares or whatever". When he first mentioned the Bianchi name I pictured something made from SL with Campag gear on but this turned up.

Bianchi-1.jpg

The frame is made from something called Tubi Bianchi Calibrati 1 - 20 which looks like bog standard Hi-Ten 1020 to me. Despite the low grade tubing it still has nice Gipiemme dropouts with adjusters.

So should I break it up or spend a small amount of money getting it roadworthy?

Cheers,

Mark.

Does seem to be the consensus this tubing is probably hi-ten. Don't think you generate much cash splitting it down, I'd spend a few quid and get it back on the road.

You've confirmed my thoughts John. The parts are a mixed bag of Sachs, Ofmega, Weinmann and Shimano from their cheaper ranges so not worth much. If it wasn't 4cm too big for me I wouldn't hesitate to get it running again as a "town bike".

Mark.

Yep, definitely good beater material for an around town bike. I am sure someone would be happy to have it (unfortunately, the Bianchi name makes it a bit higher profile for theft too).

I think the small amount of money it would cost to get this back to a pretty reasonable bike would be well spent. New saddle, probably pick up an old altus mech for a few quid, pair of weinmann non aero levers with hoods, and some Celeste or white tape, proper job :D

This is my mid-end Bianchi beater an '84 or so Nuova Alloro. There are a few stealth mtb parts on it too :)

Attachments

• bianchi.jpg
    bianchi.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 9,014
The brake cable outers/inners need replacing so I've ordered some white replacements and I think white bar tape will look good. There's an old white Turbo saddle in the loft somewhere I'll put on too.

The components are mainly Euro which makes me think the Shimano gear levers and front mech are non-original but I'm not bothered enough to change them. If the hoods on the 105 brake levers clean up I'll keep those too unless a pair of Weinmanns pop up cheap.

When I took the old brake cables off I found they had brass barrels which I'd never seen before. They also seem thicker than standard ones.

You're spot on with the sizing Kermit as it's 60cm c-c with a 58cm top tube. Too big for me by at least 4cm. The non-original Kalloy seatpost is already badly scratched all the way to the top so at least I can't make it any worse when I ram it down for a test ride. It's a funny size - 26.2mm so might have to stick with it.

yo-Nate-y:
Yours looks like a better quality frame than mine. I was hoping for something like that although as Kermit says chrome on mine does save it slightly.

Mark.

Latest posts

Back