Screw-On 8sp Blocks?

stuarts

Retro Guru
Hi,
Is there such a thing? 8 speed screw on block?
I'm converting a lovely old Concorde for a friend to early 8sp Record Ergos (to make it more user friendly but still fairly period).
Or do I need to just run with a 7sp block and have a 'spare' click on the changer?

Might struggle a bit to find a Campag-friendly one, too - those that are still on the market (e.g. Zenith) tend to suit Shimano and later Sachs-Huret set-ups.

David

I was led to believe that 8spd campagnolo and shimano share similar cassette spacing hence 'shimergo'

They are pretty close, actually: Campag is 5.0mm spacing, Shimano is 4.8mm. Sachs used to be identical to Campag, but their screw-on blocks made after 1998 went over to the Shimano standard. For 8, 9 and 10 speed set-ups, in every instance the Shimano spacing is about 0.2mm closer together. Doesn't sound much but potentially adds up to an indexing headache across the full range of a block. If you're on friction levers, mind, anything goes!

David

I'm sure someone would have said this eventually, but why?

8speed freewheels were really the death of freewheel hubs, and really what gave them the bad name they have now.

hamster":yq4vvd9y said:
Everybody was the same on 7s (5.0mm) but Campag stayed with 5 for 8 speed while Shimano went to 4.8mm.

Based on that the OP should be OK with their suggestion of using 8sp Ergo levers and losing a "click" - there are Regina indexed 7sp freewheels to suit Campag Syncro transmissions doing the rounds on eBay, or if not a modern Shimano or Zenith product ought to suit too.

David

8 speed freewheels are used these days on BionX driven E-bikes (as those by Trek) and probably some others.
Unfortunately the gearing is MTB like 13-32, which would not work well with older Campagnolo derailleurs. Quality is not great either.
I might have an old Regina 8-speed freewheel somewhere in road gearing.

Back