Shimano wheel, Campag mech ?

craiga

Retro Guru
My Claud Butler came with POS Joy Tech hubs which has a sealed freehub....and it's slipping.

There seems to be better value in the Shimano hubs wheels than campag.

Will a Shimano 9 speed Wheel, hub, cassette work with a campag 9 speed rear mech?

Many Thanks

In short no, you have a problem in the the cogs on Shimano are a different distance apart. However, lots of other people have this problem, and Marchisio for one make special Campag-spaced cassettes that fit Shimano hubs.

You dont need to go to the expense of Marchisio for a Campagnolo-spaced, Shimano-splined cassette. Take a basic Shimano cassette, dismantle it and replace with suitable spacers - Highpath Engineering can provide the right size spacers - the info is on their website

Thanks Monty,
That site's great

£20 for new spacers to run shimano hub, campy mech & sprockets.

Just be careful with the spacing - I had a Miche cassette designed to fit either Shimano or Campag hubs and came with spacers for both. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on a Shimano hub with a Campag cassette spacers - the spacers are wider than Shimano, so you end up being unable to fit the last sprocket on since the freehub body is too short. I think it would work the other way round - campag hub and shimano sprockets with the right spacers.

Incidentally, even when I did manage to bodge it to fit, shifting was awful. The only way I can see to get around the indexing issue would be to run friction shifters.

Have a look for the MAVIC HG/CC9 kit (#M40253), plastic spacers so cheaper at around £5-7.

Alternatively you could try the Mavic M10 cassette which they also made for this purpose.

mavic-m10-cassette-kit.jpg

Comes as a set of 10 sprockets mix-n-match to whatever ratios you want, with spacers for Campag 8 and 9 speed. Brilliant :D

Chain Reaction have #4 kits (14-25) to clear for £30ish http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33401

SJS sell the #3 (13-27) for £90, of course :roll: , £69 at JE James for tighter ratio ~1 and #2 (11-23, 12-21) Total Cycling have a few for £47.

The choice is yours...

All the best,

Back