Cicli 3 Basso

faint

Dirt Disciple
Hi every one , first post and looking for some info/help.
Just come back from our local tip with this bike, well most of it, unusually cannot get any info back from google.
The frame sticker suggests it is made from Columbus tubing and I can see Manganese on the sticker as well. "Basso" and "3" are embossed on various parts of the frame but the drivetrain looks a mish-mash of Simano 600 and Campagnolo something. Came with 1 1/2 set of wheels, tubed Mavic CP4 and and TQB Evolution rim on Shim 600. Fluted Seatpost, first time I've seen one of these (why was this done ?). Cinelli stem, Campag headset, chrome fork.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as it came without a rear mech and levers which I will need to source and probably another rear wheel to match the TQB or another set of wheels. Oh and it's a 7-spd cassette.
This will be my second build, just about to finish my Raleigh RX.
Thanks

First of all, welcome to Retrobike.

Basso have made some nice bikes. Depending on the tubing it could be anything from a respectable frame to something very nice indeed. Pictures are always helpful, but you need to post a couple of times before you can upload images.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/basso.htm

Fluted seatposts were fashionable after a craze among cyclists in the early seventies for milling and drilling standard parts to lighten them. Campagnolo responded to the craze with their drilled Super Record brake levers and fluted seatpost. It became a styling cue that was copied by all the lesser manufacturers.

The Mavic rims are GP4 tubulars. The TQB rim is made by Ambrosio, and is probably more modern than the rest.

thanks one-eye_jim

judging from that web page this bike must be similar era. Saddle is a dead give away.
Still no joy searching the internet so I might e-mail them direct. Just trying to un-seize the seat post and noticed the rear mech is a 9-spd Veloce so that will be something to sell.
Now down to hunting for the missing items.
One of those TQB front wheels in red would be nice to match the rear.

Latest posts

Back