New to Retro....which road bike?

Thistle

Retro Newbie
I currently ride an aluminium Specialized Secteur, and have recently purchased an older Woodrup tourer. The Woodrup is insanely comfortable, and has made me seriously think about ditching the Secteur for a steel road bike.

I probably won't get more than £250 for the Secteur, so that will be my budget for a new bike. If it could be adapted to take 700c wheels that would be fantastic as I have a set of handbuilts I bought for the Secteur....or would that be just too uncool on a retro bike? ;)

I'd like something with a fairly relaxed geometry that has or can take full mudguards, and the ability to take a rear rack would be a huge bonus. I no longer race seriously, but would want something I can use on club rides...

Can anyone give me an idea of what makes/models I should look out for? I have a feeling this will only be the first of many vintage bikes..... :shock:

Welcome to the forum......
As for which bike, the world is your oyster.
Look at my list, there's only one on their, that cost more than £250.. :D

well I'm new to this as well and my first retro is a Raleigh 501 RX100 which a bloke in work has great delight in telling me it's a piece of gas tubing s***.
I like it and if I hadn't thrown the saddle out it would be 100 percent original, I think.
The second one I have just picked up from the tip.

Thistle, why not just buy a frame and transplant all the parts across from your Specialized? Most of it will fit. There's lots of old frames that would work. A Raleigh Clubman would be a good choice (but not one that's so old it has Raleigh threading - that's for later in your retro addiction!).

Faint, your mate at work is talking nonsense. Reynolds 501 is a high quality butted tubeset; you wouldn't use it for a cheap bike. Lots of surprisingly expensive modern frames are made in exactly the same way.``

And welcome to you both. :cool:

Back