What compact for a C40

malley

Dirt Disciple
I have a fantastic Colnago C40 with 7700 dura ace. Want to run a compact chainset ( fat and creaking after YEARS out of riding!).

What will work/look good/examples/what have YOU done???

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve. :D

I think that you may encounter problems fitting any compact. In fact on many C40's and early production C50's the front derailleur mount is in a place that makes it difficult to work with a compact.

Just revisiting the site for the first time in an age! Anyone got any suggestions how to get a compact gearing set up on a C40?????

Any guidance appreciated. ;)

I can tell you from experience that a Dura Ace 7410 double deffo works with a 48/36 or a 50/36 combo but it wasn't on a C40. Assuming that the 15 tooth capacity of the 7700 could in theory be used I don't see why one shouldn't work.

As to what, lightness wise and choice of rings I'd go with an older stronglight 86mm BCD (what I use but what do I know)
Modern stuff I suppose a high end SRAM or Shimano. If you've got loads of dollar burning a hole in yer pocket go for the AX (Lightness) Morpheus...oo la la

Never did get around to sorting this last year. Thinking of doing it as a treat to myself for Chrimbo. any advance on the advise above (cheers for that btw :) !!

So, Italian thread, compact chainset for a Colnago C40 - anyone done it or suggest a good way to do it?

Thanks again. :)

I'm just fitting a SRAM Force compact to a Concorde Astore. I am using the GXP bottom bracket, as that's available with Italian threads.

If you went with SRAM, then to do the C40 justice, you really should use a RED crankset.

Apart from the fashion crime of not fitting Campagnolo to an Italian Frame :shock:

It's a suck it and see one. The problem is whether you can get the band-on front mech to go low enough to shift decently with the smaller chainrings of a compact. I'd try a 50 34 and see what happens. Of course, the other way is to experiment - every tooth takes the front mech down around 3mm.

As a simple alternative, an 11-28 MTB cassette on the rear wheel would have the same effect in getting the lower gearing. You would need a slightly longer chain to get the big-big combo to work and possibly a medium cage rear mech.

I ran a 34/50 campag ultra torque chainset on my C40 (pre b-stay model)

I also used an older record carbon braze on front mech and a later alloy q shift version which was suitable for either standard or compact chainsets.
The only problem i had was the non qs shifter and qs mech requiring more lever throw to change on to the bigger ring.

Thanks for the replies.

So;

MTB cassette - would need a longer cage mech - aesthetics?

SRAM/Campag compact chainsets - could work?

Front mech operation an issue then? As it's a braze-on mech it could be lowered, but I'm wondering if it would need a longer-caged front mech - like what?

Mmmm. Tricky - at least when I need to make sure the money I spend will DEFINITELY work.

I looked at a triple - 105 Octalink available - but That needs a different front shifter, and it just seems WRONG on a C40?!?!

:?

Back