Raleigh Gemini Trail (bit like a 'cross bike ?)

Cab

Retro Guru
I've picked up a trail/hybrid thing with 700C wheels, which just looks like it needs drop bars to be a 'cross bike. If I fit bar end shifters, & run the cables under the tape to the top, next to stem, will this cause unnecessary friction? many touring bikes I've seen with those shifters, the cable exits the tape before the bar bend, & I suppose this is to simplify the cable route.

This is is the way all the 'old-timers' in the 50's and 60's used to run with Campagnolo bar ends which didn't have the mechanical smoothness and 'modern' cables prevalent now.

It's how I used to route them BITD - not a good photo but you can probably just see the cables coming out from the tape at the top.

Attachments

• Paul2up65.B.jpg
    Paul2up65.B.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 5,972
I've some bar end shifters where I've run full outer to emerge with the brake cables at the top of the tape - not a great or specific photos but you may be able to see here. I've not had any particular problems.

Attachments

• IF Planet X logs.JPG
    IF Planet X logs.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 5,970
Thanks for the pictures Ed & Ned - that settles it then, I thought having them exit low down could get in the way, now I'm happy to go with my first idea on this.

I did the old school routing on the tourer but for any other use, especially 'cross, then I can imagine they'd be a pain in the arse getting caught up on vegetation and getting in the way when shouldering the bike.

I have the cables bare as I change things a lot:

norman_rebuild_959.jpg

Ditto me - bringing them away from the bar after the bottom of the hooks keeps them away from the top of the bars for such things as barbags (they are on my tourer).

Also, there is a phenomenal weight saving from another 30cm of cable and outer :roll:

cable routing

If you dont like the 'feel' of the cables under handlebar tape, an old cross tip is to run the cables inside the handle bars, drill a hole approx 2 inches from the end of the bars at the bottom and 1/2 inch into the ferrule at the top, gradually move the drill away from the 90 deg to 120 deg to allow for a nice entry and exit. DO NOT use this idea with Cinelli old style bars as they are made in 3 sections. just one piece bars.

I run the cacables all the way to the end of the tape, much tidier. For bigger frames get the ( cheaper ) Clark's tandem ( 3 metre ) cable and see you L.B.S. mechanic ( don't forget to bring choccy Hobnobs for the discount ) for gear outer off-the-loop for longer lengths.

ps. check out my road bikes in the signature below.

See what you mean on length AS, they only just made it! (I used Goodridge cables that were in the goody bag at SSUK - WTF? gear cables at SSevent!) all seems to work, hoping to get out on it soon.

Back