Steel frame from eBay - update/finishing recommendation

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
The mystery (probably Reynolds 631 it now seems) TIG-welded steel frameset I bought from eBay and mentioned in a posting a few weeks back now has nice new powder coating and is almost built up, just needs tape and cables doing (end of this week, touch wood, then can give it a test ride on my Friday off!!). Possibly a little bit heavier than when the same parts were fitted to the Look KG241, but there's precious little in it, or so it would seem for now. Photos hopefully to follow in a few weeks!

Now - as for the powder coating I cannot recommend the firm that did it highly enough; excellent value for money, quality work and a quick turnaround. They only do coating and lacquering so I had to do the transfers myself this weekend, but at 35 quid inc. VAT I'm not grumbling. Don't want this to sound too much like an advert so won't go overboard on the details but if based in Hampshire or thereabouts and needing a single-colour finish on a steel or aluminium frame, worth checking out Trestan Finishers in Woolston, Southampton (near the Itchen Bridge). Google or a phone directory will yield further information if you need it.

David

Can they deal with rust as well? I want to get a frame done but I'm concerned not just about surface rust but rust inside the tubes too. The bike once spent a night at the bottom of a river :roll:

SantaHul":2r7ze4im said:
Can they deal with rust as well? I want to get a frame done but I'm concerned not just about surface rust but rust inside the tubes too. The bike once spent a night at the bottom of a river :roll:

Possibly; from the website it seems that they do other stuff such as phosphate treatments.

David

Good price. Look forward to seeing pics. Did they mask everything that need masking prior to refinishing?

SantaHul":1ht3aqwf said:
What's phosphate treatment?

It's an anti-corrosion treatment for steel; the frame is dunked in phosphoric acid forming a protective layer of insoluble iron phosphate on the exposed surfaces of the tubes.

John - hoping to provide pics soon as my Dad is eager to see some photos of the finished article too!! Masking: none needed per se as all fixtures & fittings were taken off, but they did use rubber plugs to protect BB threads, bottle bosses, cable adjusters, derailleur hangers etc.

David

David B":20y430fm said:
Masking: none needed per se as all fixtures & fittings were taken off, but they did use rubber plugs to protect BB threads, bottle bosses, cable adjusters, derailleur hangers etc.

David

Yeah, that's what I meant by masking. Sounds an even better deal given they knew what they were doing...

Set of pics done earlier this morning and now up on Flickr. Bike rides well and am very pleased with it appearance-wise, hope others think the same!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60525/sets ... 323058838/

For the equipment fanatics out there, the spec is as follows:

58cm c-c TIG-welded steel race frame (prob. Reynolds 631), teardrop down tube, head tube Ergo cable adjusters, horizontal rear ends, front mech braze-on, 2 x bottle mounts
Time Millennium 1" threadless carbon fork, steel steering column
Stronglight Headstrong 1" threadless headset
Wheelset: Mach 1 CFX 32h silver clincher rims and Mach 1 d/b stainless 3-cross spoking with Middleburn front hub and Maillard 8sp cassette rear. Hope rear and Sachs front QR skewers.
Tyres: Vredestein Fortezza front, Michelin Krylion rear, both 700c x 23mm
Brake levers/shifters: Campag Mirage 10sp QS/Escape Ergopower
Brake calipers: Mirage with Aztec cartridge pads
Derailleurs: Mirage QS braze-on double front, Mavic 840 rear
Brake and gear cables are a mix of Campag and Transfil
Chain: Union 810 8sp (good chains these but seem hard to find in the UK)
Cassette: Shimano HG50 8sp, 13-23
Chainset: Stronglight 53/38 110BCD rings on Ritchey/Sugino 175mm cranks (modified MTB crankset with no granny ring)
Bottom bracket: Shimano UN54, BSC thread
Look PP396 clipless pedals
Ambrosio Lite 120mm 1" Aheadstem
ITM Millennium standard diameter bars, 42cm wide, black cork tape
Seatpin: USE Alien 25mm shimmed to 27.2mm
San Marco Race Gel Saddle
Sigma BC800 computer
Tacx bottle cages
Sapo mini-pump

David

Back