Roger Hammond World cross bike

orbeas

Retro Guru
Does anyone have any info on the bikes Roger Hammond rode to win the worlds cross in Leeds.
Have acquired a frameset that is supposed to be one of the ones used at Leeds.
As the information came from someone in the cycle trade who I would not trust, just wondering if anyone has any info,details or photos.
all help appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that in his World's medal-winning year Hammond rode an Orbit frame made in the Brierley Hill workshops.
His later bikes for UK competition, even when riding for Belgian trade teams, were often Corrado ones built by Terry Dolan but badged as FW Evans rather than Corrado themselves, presumably for sponsorship reasons.

David

David B":2gu6unr8 said:
I'm pretty sure that in his World's medal-winning year Hammond rode an Orbit frame made in the Brierley Hill workshops

It was indeed an Orbit, one of which was finished in bright pink, now whether all of his bikes were pink I have no idea?

I was there, & also still have the 'Cycling Weekly' with him on the cover.
He used bar-end shifters, no STI for him

Can't tell if they were 653, or 753 though as the stickers are partially hidden

He did, however, use the old pattern SIDI shoes (blue/black, with a flap over the laces) that were drilled for SPD's

Sorry Scanner playing up, so can't put the relevant pics on here.

mavesyn":2r31zjyi said:
A couple of pics, Barry.

Thanks.

My scanner's playing up, so I couldn't scan my copy
I've also still got the programme & poster

(sure there's a cap & t-shirt somewhere hiding in a drawer, or old suitcase??)

hammond team bike

Update 17/11/2010

with a great deal of help from guys on here, especially Mavesyn and AndyPA, it would appear ,as I suspected, that the cross frame that was supposed to be one of Rogers world bikes was not in fact one.
It just goes to show that you have to be very careful when someone tries to sell you a 'team' bike.
the moral is do your homework before you hand over your cash.

Back