Mounting a Mavic bracket

Spikes

Retro Guru
I found a nice Mavic bracket I would like to use. It is not threaded, but uses a smooth aluminium shell that is locked on the outside of the bracket shell. Installation requires that your bracket shell is re-faced at a 45deg angle. Does anyone know if there a still bike shops that can do this?

If you can't find a shop with the right tool, an engineering machine shop should be able to jig-it-up on a milling machine - having used one, I wouldn't trust using one on a shell without the chamfer or Loctite on the threads

latman":26q0epz9 said:
Don't do it, will ruin the frame for anything else
A normal cartridge bottom bracket will work fine on a frame that's been milled for the MAVIC unit. The milling removes at most a couple of threads from each side, and still leaves a regular surface for the flange of a conventional fixed cup to bear against.

one-eyed_jim":1t1fo2wc said:
latman":1t1fo2wc said:
Don't do it, will ruin the frame for anything else
A normal cartridge bottom bracket will work fine on a frame that's been milled for the MAVIC unit. The milling removes at most a couple of threads from each side, and still leaves a regular surface for the flange of a conventional fixed cup to bear against.

At least that is how it should work... I had a Mavic bracket fitted to a bike for over 25 years and likely 50K miles. When I removed it, the threads had been "squished" quite a bit. I needed to chase the threads to be able to fit threaded cups, but once chased, it was usable. The chamfer is in fact so narrow that you shoudl indeed be able to use other cups without major difficulties.

I have a Schlumpf 45 degree tool,

IMG_7645.jpg

I'd be able to lend it out with some sort of deposit scheme...

Interested?

Back