Spokes

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I've got some wheels to have built over the winter (a friend does them for me!) with various combinations of rims and hubs. I can probably calculate the lengths I need from the websites that offer this but - where do I buy them from?

Shops near me sell them at prices varying from 75p each to £1.00 which, when there's 3 or 4 pairs to build, comes out rather expensive. I've looked at Parkers and CRC who both offer DT's at 'bundle' prices but CRC only seem to sell MTB length ones and Parkers are in boxes of 100 which could mean that I'll have a lot of surplus ones as I will need several different lengths.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

I get mine from ribble.
You say you have 3 or 4 pairs to build ... thats 6 wheels @ 32 spokes = 192 ... or 2 boxes @ 100 per box.

This of course assumes same rims/spoking patterns etc for each wheel. Unless youre an absolute stickler for detail, you dont need different lengths for front/rear, block side/non-BS - you can build a pair using the same spokes everywhere. Ive built my wheels for years like this. the only downside can occur if you have non-box-section rims, where you may need to file down some protruding spoke heads. (my winter bike wheels - XTs on open pros were built 2003 and still going good, using one length of spoke, so theres gotta be some credence there). Use one of the online converters and take an average for the three lengths that they recommend and jobs a good un, as we say up ere.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I've got both LF and SF hubs with Sprint and 'clincher' (ugh!) rims so I'm anticipating a variety of lengths. However, if I get them long, my friend can lengthen the thread without much problem as he has the equipment.

I have a couple of pairs of 36's to do so the 192 quantity doesn't work I'm afraid.

If anyone else has anything to add to this - then please do!

Have you looked on eBay? Quite a few sellers on there sell spokes in multiples of 4 so you can buy the right number for your wheels.

Jonny69":3inay6ht said:
Have you looked on eBay? Quite a few sellers on there sell spokes in multiples of 4 so you can buy the right number for your wheels.

To date I have studiously avoided signing up to E-Bay. I spend enough time (and money) on forums so goodness knows what would happen if I did.

Mind you, I suppose I could sell some of my own 'surplus stock' and make some money instead of spending it.

My bike brains are still in the 60's. I bought spokes in 100 gross + lots , I think the 15/17 stainless butted were 18 shillings a gross (144)
, 3 for 2p.
An engineering factory worker could be on £15 a week.
Retro? Most of the stuff on here is well into the future for me.

Back