Got my first proper old project

oldgit

Retro Guru
Just won a Raleigh Lenton Marque 111 frameset on Ebay, and now begins the search for some period parts.
It's complete with forks, bottom bracket, headset and pinchbolt. I've got a 49D chainset to go on it, and some old Weinmann levers and GB stem and bars as a stop gap.
The main thing I need/want is a pair of period singlespeed wheels or hubs that I can build up.
Seen quite a few 40 hole hubs, but I know 40 hole rims are rare, unless you know otherwise. Though I can drill some un-drilled ones if necessary.

So in a short space of time additions to my carbon race bike, my CX bike and my race MTB are a 1999 Trek 8000SL a 1969 Claud Butler and this Lenton all needing to be built. :D

I don't know anything about the age of your bike so can't comment on whether it would have 27" or 700c rims. Either way they can be a pain to find with 40 holes. They do exist new, but the ones I've seen are wider rims for touring bikes, tandems and trikes, plus they're all anodised which can look a bit out of place on an older style build.

Chrome and bare alloy ones do come up second hand, occasionally. Demand is high and they command good money, so you might be best off picking some undrilled rims of your choice and drilling them if you are able to do it.

Alternatively, there doesn't seem to be any harm in stringing a wheel up with 36 spokes on a 40 spoke hub. I think that might be what I end up doing.

It's 1958. The one thing I need is wheels, and preferably single/fixed and these all seem to come up hub only at 40 hole.
Drilling a bare rim wouldn't be a problem at all for me.
lacing onto a 36 hole is an option I guess.
Or re spacing and dishing a five hub is another option.
Any ideas as to what make hubs these old Raleigh would have been supplied with, I'm guessing something cheap and cheerful.

Dave Evans, the cycle shop at Pedalabikeaway in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire has apair of silver mavics in 40 holes. I nearly bought them the other day. He wanted about 20 quid each for new and expensive rims. Google Pedal..... and get his number.

This old bike hobby is a proper kerfuffle.
Now I've got the frame, I find out that Raleighs had their own headset and bottom bracket thread, and that 26 tpi bottom brackets are rarer than the proverbial rocking horse do do's.
I was also very surprised to find a factory brazing for single down tube lever. So instead of running it flip-flop I might utilise this and fit five on the back.
Highly addictive this is. I've now in the space off a few months gone from only owning three modern race bikes, to owning a 69 Claud, a 99 Trek 8000Sl and now the 58 Lenton, and they all need building.

mattsccm":30s7ivwo said:
Dave Evans, the cycle shop at Pedalabikeaway in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire has apair of silver mavics in 40 holes. I nearly bought them the other day. He wanted about 20 quid each for new and expensive rims. Google Pedal..... and get his number.
Do you remember if they were 700c or 27", the width, or what the finish was? First dibs to oldgit, but I don't want to bother him if they aren't what I'm looking for.

I went into my LBS to take a look at their 700c solid axle hybrid wheels.
Ideal for my Claud Butler. Threaded to take a single freewheel. Plenty of axle spacers to make equal reduction easy. Wienmann rims, and they take 28c tyres. Plus the 28c tyres are amber wall, so look right in an old frame.

Obviously not period or correct, but ideal for 'riding' use. Cheap as chips as well.

Let me have your email address and I will send you the spec for the 1958 version. Did you get it for £50? I was looking at it but want a 57 to match my age.

Back