Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Indy Fab
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:16 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Not quite retro but the obvious connection with Fat City means we can discuss them here :wink:

Anyhow anybody have a Indy Fab road frame. Think I'll chop in my good road bike this winter, got a hankering for something different. Something like a crown jewel might fir the bill :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:14 am 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

A Crown Jewel would be great but might be worth considering a Pegoretti or De Rosa Neo Primato (among others). Or one of those NOS Merckx frames that you can get sprayed in the classic colours of your choice?

I thought that I'd get myself a 'special' steel road frame a couple of years ago but the myriad of possibilities made it hard to choose (plus I'm Libran). Bizarrely after much enjoyable research and thinking I ended up with a Surly Crosscheck which I really like, mainly because it's such a good fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Crown jewel looks awesome. However if you want to be truly different try a LaPierre. As ridden by Francais le Jeux team in TdF. 8)

About the nearest thing to a modern TVT. Will deffo be a future retro classic. :D www.cycles-lapierre.fr/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

ededwards wrote:
A Crown Jewel would be great but might be worth considering a Pegoretti or De Rosa Neo Primato (among others). Or one of those NOS Merckx frames that you can get sprayed in the classic colours of your choice?

I thought that I'd get myself a 'special' steel road frame a couple of years ago but the myriad of possibilities made it hard to choose (plus I'm Libran). Bizarrely after much enjoyable research and thinking I ended up with a Surly Crosscheck which I really like, mainly because it's such a good fit.

A friend has a steel Bertoletti which is really sweet, lighter than my s-works too (thanks in no small part to carbon record). Recall reading somewhere IF use pegorettis geometry.

Merckx would be nice but the weight is a bit of a killer for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:21 pm 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

OOoo an Indy Fab. Tasty!!

What sort of weight does a steel IF comne out as? Very nice looking frame. I am quite liking the carbon thing after the hunk if junk ali Trek jobba. Not ridden many road bikes though!

Good exchange rate at the mo too... would almost be wrong to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

gump wrote:
OOoo an Indy Fab. Tasty!!

What sort of weight does a steel IF comne out as? Very nice looking frame. I am quite liking the carbon thing after the hunk if junk ali Trek jobba. Not ridden many road bikes though!

Good exchange rate at the mo too... would almost be wrong to wait.

Weight wise, not sure. With light bits it's no drama to get a complete bike under 17lbs as proved by James' Bertoletti.

Cheap alu isn't great. Bored with your ride already, thought it was looking pretty cool? Maybe they'll do a 2 for 1 discount at IF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 pm 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

Actually really liking the Ridley (down to 17.3lbs and counting..) but the Trek is a real POS is many ways :(

Just wondered how a steel road frame compared to othe materials.

It would be so wrong, but something like the DA Pinarell for sale in tother thread would make a great second bike, but too good really.

Post subject: Steel road frame..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Hey Gump, i started road riding on a FAT CITY slim chance about 7 years back, loved it .....But was always concerned because of its rariety so sold it and bought a 2nd hand LITESPEED TI with carbon stays....What a heap of junk with its crappy plastic back end and mtb sloping top tube thingy! Anyways gone back to steel again a DE ROSA corum ....and this is the best of the lot...absolutely awesome ride quality..just been to the pyranees did a few mountains over there on it...wicked! So if you can get a steel road frame pick one of the reputable ones...DE ROSA been doing their magic for years.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:52 am 
98+ BoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner

Hi, hope this arrives soon, just bought it a few days ago. I´ve been riding a willier for last three years, and wanted a change. Will tell you how it goes when I build it!

Attachments:
e462_3.jpg
e462_3.jpg [ 32.54 KiB | Viewed 1587 times ]
d994_3.jpg
d994_3.jpg [ 94.01 KiB | Viewed 1587 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Thats really nice :) come on then let us know your build spec. :)