Leeds Classic 1992

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
In the early 90's we were extremely lucky in West Yorkshire because Leeds Council, in their wisdom, helped promote a top quality pro race, The Leeds Classic. When I was sorting through some old negatives recently I came across some I'd taken at the '92 event and thought they could be of interest.

I used to go early by car to Leeds and hang around outside the Dragonara (now Hilton) hotel where some of the teams stayed and soak up the atmosphere, watch autograph hunters etc.. Then I moved up to the start and finish area on the Headrow outside the Town Hall and, once they'd started on the first loop around Otley etc. I'd dash home and get the bike out and ride up to Holme Moss to watch them over there. Always a huge crowd on the Moss with a great atmosphere.

Here are some shots outside the hotel with Robert Millar, Phil Anderson, Alan Peiper and Claudio Chiapucci chatting to fans.

More in the next post at the start.

Attachments

• LeedsClassic92.3.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.3.A.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,526
  • LeedsClassic92.2.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.2.A.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,526
  • LeedsClassic92.4.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.4.A.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,526
  • LeedsClassic92.5.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.5.A.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,526
Here's some more at the start area.

Sean Kelly, Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle, Eric Breukink and Johann Museuuw.

Attachments

• LeedsClassic92.6.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.6.A.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,522
  • LeedsClassic92.9.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.9.A.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,522
  • LeedsClassic92.10.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.10.A.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,522
  • LeedsClassic92.8.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.8.A.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,522
And the remaining ones.

Claudio and Adrie van der Poel and the setting off at the start.

I wish now I'd taken more shots of the actual bikes! In '92 STI shifters were just starting to appear and most riders were on clipless pedals. Steel frames in the majority but some lugged carbon and aluminium ones around. Eric Breukink on a nice lugged carbon frame labelled as Concorde - TVT?

BTW, in the Sean Kelly shot the Vitus bikes on the roof rack are decalled as 'Mercato'. The only Mercato I've can find on Google is a pasta machine maker! Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

• LeedsClassic92.11.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.11.A.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,519
  • LeedsClassic92.7.A.jpg
    LeedsClassic92.7.A.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,519
I've got some photos of the 91 or 92 Milk Race finishing in Leeds somewhere. I'll have to dig them out.

I remember cyclin' over from york to watch the Leeds Classic in 1994........if any of ye still have a recording of it from teh telly (I think I've got a vhs tape somewhere with it on), there's a silly twat can be heard loudly and repeatedly blowing a pea whistle during the podium presentations.

I was so proud when I first watched it.............I was also mistaken for Alex Zulle that day too! :shock:

Great photos - I hadn't moved to Leeds at this point, shame it didn't still happen by the time I arrived!

I may have solved the Vitus mystery also - you say 'Mercato' (not to be confused with Merkato International, the fine Ethiopian restaurant in the Merrion Market), though on the picture, it looks more like 'Macario' to me:

http://www.macario.com/

I never noticed that! Keeping it retro in 92 - Sean Kelly as the spiritual father of this site...

Latest posts

Back