Carlton-Please help identify model

velocitizen

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've just got hold of this Carlton.
Frame number 285904 (On rear dropout)
The finish is possibly Acrilochrome, it has a lot of surface rust but the rear seatstays look to be in better condition.
No decals, but headtube badge is in place.
I've looked on the Carltoncycles site, and am guessing it is a 1968-72 model judging by the frame number.
I've looked at the chainset but can't see an ID number on that. (Any pointers to where it would be?)
Just curious as to what model it might be? It is currently set up fixed with parts from the shed. It came as frame/forks/bars/chainset.
I'd be very grateful for any help with identifying it.
carlton+001.jpg
[/url]

Any chance of a look at the lugs?

I can see wrap over seat stays so that maybe points to post 68, also the chrome frame gets me thinking it might be an old Cobra - but I cant say for sure.

yes its certainly got the same lines as a cobra but its just too hard to tell without close up pictures?

Here's a Cobra from a Raleigh Catalogue c1974

10cobra.jpg

I was expecting Crespera lug. but those are what I would say were Carlton lugs, Im still leaning towards a Cobra but Im not 100% if they were made in 1960s. If not it could be an all chrome Constellation but the seat stays look wrong for one of them. Im not sure if they made an all chrome Catalina.

Here is a 1970s Cobra...
MIKESPICS115.jpg

MIKESPICS116.jpg

Carlton69_70_Cobra2.jpg

The finish on mine looks all chrome to me and the chainset is a 5 speed, but different design to the one above, love the advert that you posted.

Back