Single Speed Project - Old track frame

pedalcentre

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi all,

My brother has just moved house and as a result of a clear out I benefited from a few bike bits including wheels, campag track hubs, turbo trainer and this track frame.

photo2_640x480.jpg

photo4_640x480.jpg

photo3_640x480.jpg

This frame was my brothers old track racing frame which has been used at many nationals in the late 80's early 90's. He had quite a bit of success on it despite it being huge!

I already have a track bike so I thought I would build myself a single speed road bike. I'm not sure about the components that I will use yet but to get me started, I will be taking it to the powder coaters today.

I plan on getting some decals made up to premote my new business venture http://www.pedalcentre.co.uk and I have another venture in the pipeline which will work well with the bike. Watch this space.....

Luke.

Looks nice, sure you want to go for single speed? Why not go all the way and make it into a fixed wheel :)

Good luck with your venture,

Luke (also)

lclements":2kvdn2m8 said:
Looks nice, sure you want to go for single speed? Why not go all the way and make it into a fixed wheel :)

Good luck with your venture,

Luke (also)

I have quite a few sets of wheels so I could easily run SS or fixed depending on what I feel like at the time. I will probably start out on single-speed until I'm comfortable on the bike then go for the fixed.

I've got to be honest and say that I never ridden fixed on the road but I have ridden the track so it shouldn't be too bad.

Your brother must be quite tall? I'm sure you will have thought of this already but won't you have to get brake fixings brazed on before the powder coaters?

Iwasgoodonce":2izog7cg said:
Your brother must be quite tall? I'm sure you will have thought of this already but won't you have to get brake fixings brazed on before the powder coaters?

He is tall at 6ft3 but I'm taller at 6ft4 so it won't be an issue. I will just be running a front brake so don't need to worry about getting a boss brazed on.

Luke.

I was going to run SS then go fixed, but I ended up just going straight for fixed and I love it on the road!
Luke,

lclements":3c3xdigx said:
I was going to run SS then go fixed, but I ended up just going straight for fixed and I love it on the road!
Luke,

I was planning on running a 1/8" chain on the single speed setup so I could easily stick my track wheel in and give fixed ago. (I'll have to be careful with the tubs though)

Luke.

Well after spending the day at the Cycle show on Thursday I've come away with some really good ideas on how I want this to look when it's finished. Bianchi had a particularly nice plain white, flat bar single-speed so I might use that for inspiration.

I dropped the frame off to be powder coated today but I didn't supply it with an old BB fitted so they can't coat it until I go back with an old BB. Now I need to get an old BB because mine are all too good to use.

Back