Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:11 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Right, I'm trying to focus my attention on finally building up my Vitus 992 frame I've had for over a year now. I know the frame is from a time when black tyres were predominant over the brown walled ones, but the main triangle on my frame is anodised blue and I think a brown saddle, bar tape, and tyres would make a pretty good combo. (In fact, that'd be my colour combination of choice if I would ever buy a luxury car: dark blue paint with a chocolate brown leather interior :oops: )

Any suggestions for modern tyres with brown (thinking of a nice light chocolate/honey colour) sidewalls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 am 
Retro Guru

This has been discussed before, eg:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59439

Currently there are very few tyres in black tread/amberwall. Of the top of my head I can think of:

Wider heavier tyre:
Michelin World Tour
Panaracer Pasela

Cheaper narrower tyre:
Michelin Dynamic

Lightweight racing tyre:
Veloflex Pave

There is also the Schwalbe tyre on the bike in
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117444
but I don't know which model.

I'm not sure about what years the Vitus 992 frame is from but I would've thought it pre-dated the all-black and coloured tyres. I think all-black and coloured tyres were only introduced in the last 10 years or so.

Brown saddle and bar tape seems to me to be sort of faux-retro, style-retro or neo-retro, in that they were actually not that common back then. The classic colour combo (pre-STI/Ergo), IMO, is white bar tape, brown brake hoods, black saddle and amberwall tyres.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:12 am 
Retro Guru

The 992 was introduced in 1992, as a replacement for the 979. The 979 was (and still is in retro circles) famous for its comfort/lack of stiffness for an aluminium frame. The 992 has pinched "ovoid" tubes in certain critical places to increase stiffness. It also features a semi integrated headset and an hourglass head tube. After numeous victories on a 979, Sean Kelly won Milan-San Remo on a 992.

I'm not looking for period correctness on this, it's already a contradicting collection of parts at the mo. It's got an SR Apex 3 arm chainset from the '70s, Shimano 600 AX brakes from the '80s paired up with Modolo QT-EXE levers from the '90s and some obscure 42mm deep section rims I can't find any info about on the net. It might sound terrible, but all these parts are individually nice so I think it will work out ok. In the meantime I'll keep looking out for a decent groupset.

A bit more on topic though, I had a pair of all black Michelin Dynaimics on an other bike once, they were cheapish and perfectly adequate for my riding so I'll see if I can get a pair of those!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:19 am 
Retro Guru

Hi, I've got some Schwalbe Speziale tyres with skinwalls & black tread 700x22, Lightweight & very sexy looking with a kevlar underbelly :)

Last edited by tonyf39 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 am 
Retro Guru

What size wheels? 27" or 700C? If they are 27's then there are a lot of 27x1-1/4 tyres in tan-wall. I think mine were, seriously, about £5 new each on eBay if you want ultra budget:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

When it comes to a classic looking amberwalled tyre, it has to be the World Tour. I swear by them. The Pasellas are narrower although quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:21 pm 
Retro Guru

I've got a pair of Michelin Axial Sport in amberwall on a bike, but I think it's now replaced by the Michelin Dynamic.

I was flicking through a magazine from 1985, and saw it said the World Tour was being re-introduced! Looks great but I wish it had a smoother tread pattern. I used to find small bits of stone would get stuck in the grooves.

The Schwalbe Blizzard in the photo looks more reddish, like some of the Conti tyres.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:24 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi

I have Michelin Erilium Kevlar tyres that I bought on e bay. These have done a year of commuting without a single puncture despite grit on the roads from gas pipe repairs etc. The quality is superb.

They have pale brown side walls with a red stripe so have a good retro look.

Might be of interest, I'm fairly new to retro cycling but am amazed how this technology has moved on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:54 am 

Tim16V wrote:
Hi

I have Michelin Erilium Kevlar tyres that I bought on e bay. These have done a year of commuting without a single puncture despite grit on the roads from gas pipe repairs etc. The quality is superb.

Might be of interest, I'm fairly new to retro cycling but am amazed how this technology has moved on.

They sound good, any chance of a piccy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:

The red stripe may "retro" but it's not good looking.

Amber/natural sidewall tyres don't have coloured stripes!

Jonny69 wrote:
What size wheels? 27" or 700C? If they are 27's then there are a lot of 27x1-1/4 tyres in tan-wall. I think mine were, seriously, about £5 new each on eBay if you want ultra budget:

That looks great, classic.