How do I ship frames and wheels?

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
No idea if this is the right section to post this question.

I'm clearing out some bits and bobs but I'm stuck on how to package frames and wheels for shipping. Where do I get boxes big/strong enough to protect these delicate items?

Cheers,
Mark.

Your local bike shop is your best friend!

Go and ask them for an empty bike box and use that for frames, they'll probably let you fish one out of their recycling for nothing. Chop it up a bit to fit wheels in.

When posting frames I always put a bit of wood between the drop outs to prevent them getting crushed. Wrap the frame in bubble wrap for protection and to stop it rattling about the inside of the box. With wheels, if it's a pair stick a bit of cardboard between them and make sure the freehub on the rear wheen doesn't go through the spokes on the front.

Your LBS should also be able to provide the plastic frame spacers than come with bikes rather than cutting up pieces of wood. Foam pipe lagging is also good to protect frame tubes in transit - held in place with cable ties.

I always pack a pair of wheels with protective cardboard between and then hold securely with cable ties - stops them rubbing against each other.

Back