Newest Aquisition - Raleigh Road Ace Moderne c1956

sturedd

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

Thought I would do a quick post detailing my newest aquisition. I was chatting to a colleague the other week who said that his Dad used to cycle years ago so much so that his Dad, when coming out of the forces, bought himself a present, a Raleigh Record Ace Moderne. I said to him that would be really cool to recondition it back to its former glory. So next thing I know he has spoken to his Dad and he has said I can have it!!
It is now in my boot, all in pieces frame, wheels, all the components in a little box including a Brooks B17!! The only thing I can see that stops it from being perfect is a small ding in the downtube. The frame is part chromed at the seatstays, chainstays and fork blades.

I will get some photos on asap.

Stuart

Right then, got all the bits out last night and the frame, apart from being rusty seems sound, the wheels are different with the front being much rustier than the rear. The chainset, alloy brakes, levers, seatpost, B17 saddle and handlebars are all dirty but restorable I think.

Can anybody help with the following queries:

The rear wheel is different to the front and has a 4 speed hub was this standard for this model or was it originally a 5 speed derailleur?

What are the chances of getting replacement decals for the frame so I can get it resprayed and chromed?

I will also get the frame number so someone can try and put a year to it? Any tips for cleaning stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Stuart

spokesmann - I was going to do some pictures last night but it was raining by the time I got home and my wife told me politely to remove that rusty metal from the dining room!! I will try and do some tonight for your perusal.

Ive put em up for you...

Overview.jpg

HeadTubeandHeadsetGreaseNipple.jpg

BottomBracketandGreaseNipple.jpg

FrameNumber84168AA.jpg

Bits2.jpg

DownTubeRRAModerne.jpg

Back