How do you secure your saddles?

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I think it might be time to invest in a Brooks saddle. For me this is a fairly big outlay but I figure it's one of those things that will see me through for a very long time. The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is it being stolen, which is a fairly strong possibility where I keep my bike during the day.

What do you guys do to secure your saddles? I don't have any quick releases but it'll only take a quick hit with a spanner and it's gone. I'm thinking I might use that chunky braid that came with one of my D locks through the rails on the bottom.

Are there any options that are more permanent on the bike, ie less faff when I'm locking up? I could use a security torx bolt in the underside of the seat post but that still leaves the nut and bolt on the frame.

Tranz X sells quick release replacements that requires a special pentagonal tool to undo them:

snelsluitslot.jpg

There are also people who secure the rails of their saddle to their frame with a piece of bicycle chain inside a piece of inner tube. This is a particularly crappy example, you should do it tighter with less chain exposed, but it's never going to be very elegant:

lkejstalkjtalkjtschwinn5.jpg

As an additional safety measure you can also put a plastic bag over the saddle when you lock the bike up, thieves will be unable to see your saddle and the bike will probably look less attractive. Plus it keeps the saddle dry when it rains.

^ yep, I was gonna suggest a chain wrapped in inner tube too. If you live in London or a similar big city I suppose thieves could be getting wise to it and carrying a chain tool... Or you could get a component lock and leave it permanently on the bike. Combined with security bolts I think it'd make the saddle pretty unstealable, although obviously you can't guarantee anything.

Similar to the Tranz-X you showed is Pitlock and I have been thinking about it myself. Not so much for the saddle though, more for the wheels.

Brookes saddle

if you have never had a brooks saddle before I suggest you read up on them before purchase.
They take a lot of breaking in and if it gets wet will change shape.
Remember a new pair of leather shoes how tight they are, and how they expand when wet, just the same with a saddle, thats why they lost favour when plastic ones were made.

Re: Brookes saddle

Oh I'm well aware of the break-in period. I'm already preparing myself mentally for it :D

Thanks for the tip on it getting wet though. I hadn't considered that.

Can I just add that my b17 was comfy straight out of the box and my swallow feels as good too..... I haven't done many miles on that tho

Back