1977 Raleigh Chopper Mk2

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
A few views of my Mk2 in infra red dating from 77. Extensive replating and painting have been done on this machine. Still not quite finished yet.

P9110073.jpg

P9110074.jpg

No self respecting Chopper owner would be without a Pifco night rider lamp...
P9110084.jpg

P9110083.jpg

P9110077.jpg

P9110075.jpg

P9110076.jpg

Huret speedo and rechromed bars and stem...
P9110080.jpg

P9110089.jpg

Rear shocks and rack are NOS...
P9110078.jpg

That's looking really good. Brings back some memories - I had a Mark I which looked great in the shop, but was hard work hauling up the hills of Derbyshire when I got it home :)

johhnyp":3oyawkqc said:
That's looking really good. Brings back some memories - I had a Mark I which looked great in the shop, but was hard work hauling up the hills of Derbyshire when I got it home :)

This is a heavy brute at over 30lbs. My Mk3 in aluminium is considerably lighter.

Just lovely - but dont you need some ribbons hanging from the handlebars? For xmas in 1972 ish I got a Royal Enfield racer and my best friend got a Chopper - envy until I realised he was never going to beat me in a race!!

sisyphus":2zmj72dg said:
Just lovely - but dont you need some ribbons hanging from the handlebars? For xmas in 1972 ish I got a Royal Enfield racer and my best friend got a Chopper - envy until I realised he was never going to beat me in a race!!

Im not a ribbons/streamer man! :LOL:

Yeah but the MkII was welded up by monkeys, and looks like a cheap fake. Which is, I suppose, what it is.

Actually I never got the Chopper thing BITD. They never seemed to get that common in our neck of the woods. There were a few and a few copies, Halfords Scramblers, Vindec Highrisers and the like, but proper big wheeled bikes seemed to be the thing. You got a big wheeled bike as soon as your toes would touch the floor and for preference stuck the widest set of cow horns you could find. It was funny how the big bars suddenly became uncool the minute Raleigh released the Bomber.

GarethPJ":1494kz6f said:
Yeah but the MkII was welded up by monkeys, and looks like a cheap fake. Which is, I suppose, what it is.

Actually I never got the Chopper thing BITD. They never seemed to get that common in our neck of the woods. There were a few and a few copies, Halfords Scramblers, Vindec Highrisers and the like, but proper big wheeled bikes seemed to be the thing. You got a big wheeled bike as soon as your toes would touch the floor and for preference stuck the widest set of cow horns you could find. It was funny how the big bars suddenly became uncool the minute Raleigh released the Bomber.

Ive hear stories of the rear brake bridge coming adrift and things...

The monkeys who did this knew their stuff!

Spokesmann":2edx1x6j said:
sisyphus":2edx1x6j said:

Im not a ribbons/streamer man! :LOL:

Me neither. I preferred the clothes peg on the seat stay with a few cigarette cards brushing against the spokes. If your imagination was vivid enough, it sounded just like a motor bike (yeah, right :) )

A little chopper tail from my youth.

In 1989 i was in the army and based with the united nations in Nicosia Cyprus, My job out there was to drain the cesspits in the observation posts that separated the turks from the greeks, We'd heard tales from previous units about an underground warehouse in the city near the palace that contained brand new cars that had been trapped there since the cypriot war in 197?. One day we were out working when we were tasked to drain the city pits, I remember driving down into this underground garage and seeing all these brand new Toyota's just sitting there, I looked up into the upper lever and there must of been a 100 or so brand new choppers all with chrome dynamos just leaning against each other and completely untouched. Everything in the garage was under a thick layer of dust and completely untouchable because the warehouse was in a sort of no mans land, Ive often wondered if they are still there today.

Anyway sorry for rambling on but your chopper made me think back lol

FSR-Si":csjfp50l said:
A little chopper tail from my youth.

In 1989 i was in the army and based with the united nations in Nicosia Cyprus, My job out there was to drain the cesspits in the observation posts that separated the turks from the greeks, We'd heard tales from previous units about an underground warehouse in the city near the palace that contained brand new cars that had been trapped there since the cypriot war in 197?. One day we were out working when we were tasked to drain the city pits, I remember driving down into this underground garage and seeing all these brand new Toyota's just sitting there, I looked up into the upper lever and there must of been a 100 or so brand new choppers all with chrome dynamos just leaning against each other and completely untouched. Everything in the garage was under a thick layer of dust and completely untouchable because the warehouse was in a sort of no mans land, Ive often wondered if they are still there today.

Anyway sorry for rambling on but your chopper made me think back lol

Great story!

Miller did make a specific Chopper dynamo.

Back