Lights - modern ones...

kula

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Has anyone been seduced by the 900 Lumens lights that you can get on ebay. I've got a 180 lumens Fenix torch that doubles as a pretty bright bike light but could do with a bit more. I mainly ride on unlit country roads where spotting gravel on a fast corner is a real bonus.

What are the panel using, recommend away, but please stay away from the kind that cost as much as a retrobike.

I got the Luu 900 lumen job from Planet-X last winter - more than adequate for unlit roads at any speed - makes my previous 200 lumen job seem puny. My mate has a Lupine that kicks out over a 1200 lumens - I often think we're being followed by a car with lights on full beam - nicely built but stupid money. The Magic Shine got good initial reviews but reliability is an issue.

Lots of these SSC P7 based 900 lumens (cough, cough) lights around and having compared one to one of the £1.50 ones that LGF first spotted, I'd rather have two of them at 200 lumens each than one of the Chinese 900 roo-mens ones any day!

Yup the Lupine Betty 7 or 14 is way overpriced for what it is. That having been said, my slightly cheaper 1650 lumens Tiger Lights eats them! :cool:

I've got a Fenix L2D as well. I find it more than adequate but have often wondered what it would be like with 900+ lumens :D

The beam on these is on the narrow side, so pointed at the road surface in front of you shouldn't do much harm. :cool:

yes, I have my 180 lumen angled downward as that is too bright to look at for car drivers, I was wondering about another 180 to 300 lumen torch from a good company like fenix, or risk the same amount of dosh on a 900 lumens one from ebay. I doubt very much they actually through out 900 lumens though, but hey how many of us really understand lumens :)

also, where I live there are a network of old lanes that hardly ever see a car so other traffic is not a problem, it's the obstacles in the road that I need extra light to throw down on.

Ive bitten the bullet and gone for some Ay ups...........they seem to be the best bang for your buck...............and its my birthday in 1 hour 50 mins, so sod it

:D

It's not how big your lumens are, it's what you do with them that counts.
I had two sets of Niteflux lights that were 900+ lumens. My first set were fine, but packed up. The replacement set clearly used either different LEDs or reflector, but whatever they were dreadful. They soon packed up as well and I went back to my old Joystick at 240 lumens tops?, but were more useful on the trail than the more powerful Niteflux jobs.
I now have Light & Motion Seca Race 700's The actual output puts my mates still working Niteflux units to shame. In fact I only use mine on the lowest setting for off road night rides.

Back