What is this?

Bike pumps (sort of 70's and before) usually were frame mounted onto two brazed points as per this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26587553@N00/4200069578/

These pumps were often fitted with a flexible hose that screwed into the business end of the bike pump and attached to the tyre valve.

The item you have there fitted into the same output of air hole that was on these pumps and is sort of the fore-runner of the bike pumps available now that attach directly to the valve.

The bottom end of the Campagnolo part would have been used to mount against the frame, as per newer bike pumps.

Not sure if therefore, you find frames with only one pump mount but guess its possible. As I understand, they are a little sought after.

Thanks for your reply.

I do have another of these.

Perhaps just the name on them, CAMPAGNOLO makes them a bit of a collectors item.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The metal Campagnolo pump heads were made in four versions. The most common one was made for Silca and similar pumps and had female threading and a raised square that mated with the opening in the alloy sleeve of the Silca pumps. There was then a second female threaded one for other Italian pumps. There were then two heads with male thread like the one highlighted in the original post. One was with a British thread, the other with a French metric thread. All three non-Silca pumps had a conical shaped set screw that would block the head from loosening up.

I actually still use the Silca brass ones on both my trackpump and compressor line at home. :cool:

I remember the trick with the Campag ones - you had to remove them from the valve with a karate chop! :cool:

Back