Cannondale

Hi ,new to road bikes and have found a cannondale.Don't know proper name but has saeco on cross bar and caad2 on rear downtube.The guy says it's a couple years old but that could mean 15 years old.So any idea's what vintage this bike is?Are all cannondales handmade in U.S.A with alluminium and is it worth the £200 he wants.Checked out the vintage cannondale section and read about frame serial numbers,anything else i should look for to make sure it's real.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 19469882.jpg
    19469882.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 563
It is undoubtedly "Real" but lots of things will contribute to "what its worth" CAAD was a designation Cannondale applied to their alloy bikes as they applied more weight saving methods over the years .They made a 3.0 series in 1989 and 1990 , then the 2.8 series after that ,They usually used the older "technology" frame lower down their line in the following years . I would say the pictured frame was probably made in 1997.

Saeco is a coffee machine from Italy and was used on decals when the 2 companies sponsored a Euro team that featured Mario Cippolini.

Cannondale now make some all carbon frames (Synape ,system6,super six) , and the all alloy CAAD9 (or is it 10 now) They recently announced that all future production will be in Asia. they did an alloy carbon mix for a few years too.

ps CODA is their "home brand" and can be used to cut costs ,but it sometimes was excellent equipment (certain cranks come to mind)

Nice

I am no cannondale expert but I do agree with latman in that I too thinkl its genuine and again would put it at late 90's/2000ish.
An older guy in our chaingang back home in Oz had one from new. It was a quick, sharp handling machine, looked really cool in the Seaco colours.
As for Cannondale, well you cant really get a better value for money aluminium frame than a CAAD. They have it refined and developed to a fine art. This years model is the CAAD 9 and I think these are still USA made.
I would still check that its genuine as on another thread on here that was only a couple of days ago someone was asking about a Seaco team bike they had purchased, that soon turned out not to be a Cannondale at all. So compare dropouts, shape etc with pics of a genuine one as the other one was not cheap. Thats as well as the usual frame number etc.

Jamie

I thought it had the cannondale look to it,just too paranoid about copy's nowadays.He say's it's a 21" frame,is road bike frames not measured another way.Don't like that asia idea.OK thanks for advice

Back